We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

Taxi costs over 35zl, is there a cheaper and convenient way from Krakow train station to Wawel? Thanks!

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

Oh my God, 35 PLN? If you paid that, you have been ripped off. Of course this is possible if you get stuck in the traffic and spend at least 30 minutes moving nowhere (the time you don't move is also measured and calculated by the taxi meter).

The fastest and cheap option is the tram - you can use trams: 10, 19, 40. For 19 you have to use a different tram stop (the one on Pawia), not the one on Lubicz. They all go very close to Wawel, even the tram stop is named simply Wawel. The cheapest option is of course a walk.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

Don't forget to buy and validate your ticket. Some say our tram inspectors are not the nicest people in the universe (especially for tourists with no tickets) ;)

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

35pln is what the hotel operator told me. What is the normal taxi cost assuming around 4:30pm on Wednesday?

I have 3 people, so if taxi is less than 20, I will definitely use a taxi since I have some luggages (travel from Praha by train to Krakow).

I actually plan to go to my hotel, Sheraton Krakow. Which stop should I get off?

Thank you so much!

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

I guess it should be no more than 20 PLN. There is a parking space with a lot of taxis OVER the train station. Simply go upstairs directly from the platform and you should see the line of 9191 taxis.

As I mentioned, if you get stuck in the heavy traffic, the price might be a little higher.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

This was covered recently in the "Train Station To Sheraton" post.

Whichever tram you get (1 or 2) the first landmark to watch out for the is Filharmonia which is on the corner of Straszewskiego and Zwierzyniecka (you will see the Radisson SAS hotel on the other corner). This stop is also on the edge of the Planty (the park that encircles the old town). The trams go down Zwierzyniecka which is a street with small shops on either side. It opens up at the end with a view to the Debnicki bridge on your left and you should see the Jubilat department store on your right which is where the stop is. If you get out here and look towards the river with the Wawel castle on your left you will see the Sheraton hotel on the road running parallel to the river.

6. Re: How to get to Wawel Castle from Krakow main train station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 11:17