We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow 5 day stay

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
70 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow 5 day stay

Looking at a 5 day break to Krakow Aug 10th. The Hotel Columbus looks ok? Is it decent?

I hear that Krakow is becoming more expensive but that is relative to any popular destination.

Is eating out dear? The reviews I found were a couple of years old.

Theres nothing as disappointing as picking a dodgy hotel in an industrial or dirty area.

I need to book this or lose the chance. Any up to date advice greatly appreciated.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

1. Polish currency is strong in these days, so Poles don't feel it, but when you think in USD/EUR/GBP - yes, Poland is more expensive this year.

2. Starowiślna is a good point, but I don't know the exact location of the hotel - make sure you won't be bothered by the noise from the street.

3. You might suffer a little bit from the renovation of Dietla street, but trams will still go through Starowiślna (some of the taxi routes might be longer and more expensive, especially in heavy traffic).

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

the hotel seems nice enough and is rated very highly on here but its not in the old town..or even just outside of it...looks to be just on the fringe of kazimierz....depends what u like and what you like to do

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

The hotel is about 100m from ul. Szeroka, the hub of the Jewish Quarter. It's newly refurbished and although some of the rooms face Starowislna (a very busy street) they have thick double glazing. There's a tram stop just outside the hotel and it's an easy 10 minute walk into the Old Town from there. So the hotel isn't dodgy, and it's not an industrial area.

Prices aren't what they were, but they're still generally cheaper than the UK if you stick to local, rather than imported, products. You should be able to eat well for around £15 a head - I don't know if you consider that dear...

Berlin
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

Im now in Krakow and I sleep in Off White appartaments - here is great. I came here with Escape to Cracow so they have organized it for me but till now everything is excellent. Tommorow I'll go for rafting on Dunajec. I eat in bar Mleczny on Grodzka street - great !!! I found also some nice bars on www.escapetocracow.wordpress.com - yesterday I was in Alchemia but was crowded so I've changed for Stalowe Magnolie on Jana st. and I had great time and fun there . Live concert of Fresh Back band was immpossible.

glorious Midwest
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

The hotel is very nice and pleasant, great location. It's literally just a half block from the heart of Kazimierz, so stay there if you want to be in that part of town. It's only a 10 min. walk to Market Square in Old Town. Kazimierz is super fun and lively, along with being very historical with the old synagogues and other Jewish sites. Starowisnla is kind of an unattractive commercial street--don't let that fool you, the area is lovely and interesting, once you're just a block over.

The tram stops directly in front of the hotel. However, on at least one tram (there are several running there), the stop you should get off at is called Miodowa, and it is AFTER the stop called Starowisnla...that happens to be a long street, and you could otherwise get off too soon and have to walk.

6. Re: Krakow 5 day stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 12:20