We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

schindlers factory

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
co.down
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
schindlers factory

i,ve heard that oscar schindlers factory is closed for refurbishment.i,m heading over in september.does anyone know when this factory opens.i,ve tried to find out online

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: schindlers factory

It's going to be no earlier than sometime next year, but from what I've heard, they're still designing it so it could be longer.

Bradford, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: schindlers factory

Yeah we walked down to visit the museum and were so dissapointed that it was closed. Its still worth looking at the outside I suppose.

Why are they re-furbing it? Surely that defeats the object of it being a museum in its original state.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: schindlers factory

The factory hasn't really been a museum, just an exhibit of some things connected with Schindler in a small part of it. Most of the site has been left to become derelict. It's owned by the local authority which, in it's questionable (IMO) wisdom, has decided that the whole thing needs to be brought up to date. So the plan is to gut it and obliterate most of the traces of age and make it a shiny new interior. Hopefully the architects/civil servants will see sense and come up with a plan that respects the traces of history in the place but it's not guaranteed. Feel free to write to our Mayor with your opinion though... ;)

co.down
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: schindlers factory

thanks for your replys.i agree that it should,nt be refurbed.leave it as it is.well i,m saying that and i,ve never been.slightly disappointed that i,ll not get a chance to see inside.at least theres aushwitz.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
993 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: schindlers factory

We walked to see it yesterday. It is covered in scaffolding and there really is nothing to see. By the look of it it is going to be well into 2009 before it will be open.

Dunnville, ON
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: schindlers factory

We are going on a guided tour next March with Gate1 Travel and Oscar Schindler's factory is included. What can we expect to see? I have read the book and loved the movie. That is one of the reasons we booked the trip. We would want to see it restored to its original condition, not all modernized. Has anyone been there lately?

Thanks.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: schindlers factory

I'm afraid it's likely to be closed and inaccessible - the city still doesn't have a plan for what they are going to do with it, but from what I've heard it's unlikely to be left in anything like it's original condition.

Torksey, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: schindlers factory

We went there last week, sorry to report that there is nothing much to see. Just one big building site, it reminded me very much of what poland was like under communism.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: schindlers factory

I was there last Friday 17th October.

Looked like it's been refurbished and had a lick of paint. No scaffolding or buildinf site there, just looked like an old fashioned but very clean looking office building. Gates were locked though :(

The tour guide said they were making it into a museum.

england
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: schindlers factory

If you give the security guard a couple of quid he may give you a quick look around, he does'nt speak a word of english but that wont matter as it speaks for itself,