We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I will be visiting Krakow for 2 nights and wonder if there are any great restaurants around the tourist attractions that are not too pricey, but offer authentic Polish food where most locals go. Important that the restaurant is clean though.

thx.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

Poles don't really eat out that often, and most restaurants in Krakow cater for the massive numbers of tourists that come every year. The ones I would recommend are Miod Malina on ul. Grodzka and Nostalgia on ul. Karmelicka.

Surrey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I would recommend two very good and inexpensive restaurants, both very popular with students and tourists because of the very good and inexpensive food. U Babci Maliny has two restaurants, one in Ul. Szpitalna (near the Slowacki Theatre and the one I prefer though both are great but different from each other) The one in Ul. Szpitalna, I believe, serves food until later ie. early evening than the other one in Ul. Slawkowska, which is the trickier one to find - ask a passing student!

Another excellent salad bar though more lunch and tea time, very cheap and cheerful but delicious food is Chimera (not the main restaurant - a little further on and downstairs rather than the upstairs part) in Sw Anny.

Details of touristy things and reviews for Krakow can be found on the Krakow Life website, which in my opinion is one of the best reference points available.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

Another vote for Nostalgia !

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

And another vote for Nostalgia.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
329 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I actually really enjoy Hawelka, which is in the main square. They have authentic dishes that are inexpensive.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I wouldn't classify Hawełka as inexpensive (at least in Polish reality). It's somewhere in the middle, which is still good value in this location.

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

thx for the tips, will try these places.

USA/Polska
Level Contributor
440 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I enjoy the Restauracja Jarema on Plac Matejki just the other side of the Barbakan. Just note, other than the Babci Malinys' and Milk bar type restaurants, there is no inexpensive food in Krakow. I think if you google search, the Jarema has a website.

norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I protest. I'm off soon for two weeks in Krakow and my teeth are watering -- I haven't been there since the regime changed, so I hope i can still get the wonderful delicate herring dishes in that little place tucked in beside the Cathedral.

But if you are already in Toronto, why not take a sneak preview and have dinner at The Krak at the foot of Roncesvales. If it's still there it's probably as cheap and just as authentic?

norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: authentic, not pricey Polish restaurants in Krakow?

I'm there end of Oct. so if there is any incentive i can try and remember where the locals take me.

My mother rented a room to the Two Dollar meal journalist for the Daily Star who'd drag all us kids out to Greek billard halls for a bowl of tripe soup so that he couldtaste everything. So I'm kinda addicted t questions like yours.