We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

basic polite phrases

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south wales uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
basic polite phrases

please help.going to krakow in 4 weeks,would like to be able to say good morning ,thank you ,yes, no ,the usual polite phrases can any one help.i dont want to be fluent,just courteous.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: basic polite phrases

'Good morning' is actually not easy to pronounce... nor 'thank you', either. If you are really serious about learning a couple of phrases, buy a tourist language guide.

Yes = TAK

No = NIE ('ni' pronounced like 'gn' in Cologne)

Or maybe look up these:

bbc.co.uk/languages/…polish.shtml

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Polish_.28Slavic.29

Have a nice stay :-)

south wales uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: basic polite phrases

thanks madge i will get a phrase book ,thanks for taking the time to answer

south wales uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: basic polite phrases

thanks madge i will get a phrase book ,thanks for taking the time to answer

australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: basic polite phrases

I found the language hard and the phrase book we had seemed to make it harder. I think I probably murdered a few words in my head so they sounded like the real thing.

"Thank you" sounds like gen-coo-yah but you wont see it spelt like that.

"Hello " sounds like gen-dob-ray

My husband told me that the emphasis on all polish words is placed on the second last syllable.

Numbers are also quite useful.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: basic polite phrases

I'm not sure how you spell it but an informal hello is "cesh"

We found the easiest thing to ask how to say simple phrases while you are there, the polish all seemed to like trying to teach us.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: basic polite phrases

thank you all for the info,counting down the days to my trip

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: basic polite phrases

Your best bet is to get a phrase book and search online for Polish language resources. You need to hear how the language is spoken to understand the various combinaions of letters such as cz dz etc and the fact that a w is f etc. I've benn learning for a few months and I don't think I'll ever be fluent but it's nice to try to speak to people in their native language. Here are some phrases that you might find useful:

Dzien dobry/Czesc - Hello

Do widzenia - Good-bye

Przepraszam - Excuse me!!

Dziekuje bardzo - Thank you very much.

Czy mowi pana (to a man)/pani (to a woman) po angielsku? - Do you speak English?

Prosze to mi napisac? - Can you write it down for me?

Gdzie jest? - Where is?

Ile to kosztuje? - How much does that cost?

Poprosze - I'd like

Could go on for a while but I hope those help. Try to get a grip of numbers as previously stated as they will help. Let me know if you need more help.

doofus
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: basic polite phrases

Welshgooner.

I am going to Krakow in a few weeks time. Can you let me have a few more words or phrases please. If you know how to pronounce them would it be possible to write it down , sort of how it is said the English way, if you are with me.

many thanks, Pete ( also a very very big Arsenal fan who moved to Wales from London) Yp the Gunners!!!

new york
Level Contributor
202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: basic polite phrases

Get a small vocab book and while in Poland if you happen to need assistance just ask any young person. Most young people there speak at least a bit of English and most of them can carry on a conversation. A cashier in a supermarket that is in her 40's will know zero English. Young people whether on the street or in stores will have more western behavior while the people in their 40's on will not smile much as that is not how they were brought up. Poland is a lovely place to visit. (I was born in Poland - live in the US)

doofus
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: basic polite phrases

BluJ,

I am aware of that. I just thought that it would be nice to have a few nice phrases etc up my sleeve on arrival.

We are only there for a few days in December.

WelshGooner looks as though he has the idea. being as he is an Arsenal fan I am not surprised by that. they normally are a very knowledgeable lot.

regards, Pete

Get answers to your questions about Krakow