We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

krakow christmas market

Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
krakow christmas market

We will be in Krakow between 9/12/08 and 13/12/08 and would like any advice on the christmas market and other festive activities. also will it be possible to visit Auschwitz and the salt mines at this time. what clothes should we pack? any advice appreciated.

thank you

Carol

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: krakow christmas market

The Christmas Market should be in full swing by then, and Auschwitz and the salt mines are also open. Check the weather nearer the time but it's likely to be a bit chilly (around 0degC).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: krakow christmas market

I will be in Krakow about the same time (Sun 7th Dec to Wed 11th Dec).

I'm putting together a 'usefull links page' to Krakow at http://djmp.co.uk/krakow%20two/links.htm

Kind regards

DAVE

Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: krakow christmas market

Dave that is a fantastic amount of information - will enjoy going through it all. Have a great time in krakow.

many thanks

carol

Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: krakow christmas market

Many thanks Ewain. Any advice on what and where to eat? Carol

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: krakow christmas market

You have to try pierogi (I like the ones at Camelot) and also their hot cherry wine. Apart from that, if you stick to Polish places you'll find it difficult to go wrong!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: krakow christmas market

Does anyone know the exact date the Market starts?

We are leaving Krakow on 30th November and were wondering will it be started by then?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: krakow christmas market

Hello all,

My friends and I are looking to do a 4 or 5 day stint in Krakow and Warsaw over either the last weekend in November or the first weekend in December 2009.

We would really want to see the Christmas markets - are they in both Krakow and Warsaw?

Which destination should we fly into in order to make the most of our time?

Are the Christmas markets only over the weekend? What are the exact dates?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Anna

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: krakow christmas market

Hi there,

Dave's list of useful info is great. In addition, yes, it can be a bit chiily at that time of year so bring the winter woolies. There will be plenty of mulled wine available to keep you going though!

We have also found the following website useful if you are planning on heading into the Jewish District of Kazimierz. There are some great museums, bars and restaurants there and it is only about 10 minutes from the old town. It is often a good idea to head there first before heading to Auschwitz and it gives a "face" to some of the victims. A trip to the "Pharmacy Under the Eagle" in Podgorze is also worth looking at.

www.kazimierzguide.com

Have a great trip.

Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: krakow christmas market

Hi Anna

We visited Krakow last Dec midweek and the markets were open everyday.The best atmosphere was 4pm onwards, as far as I remember the stalls closed around 8pm. it did get cold standing at the stalls so bring warm hats scarfs etc.

I would recommend you visit the exhibition of cribs,-they have a competition for the best one every year. And there are fantastic classical concerts in the evening.

A little further a field but easily reachably by public bus is the salt mine at Wieliczka- highly recommend a visit. The tourist office will tell you the bus to get.

coffee house culture is part of Krakows history and there are some really lovely ones in which to rest from sight seeing.

Our favourite meal was in the Rubenstein hotel in the Jewish quater.

Its a beautiful city and very easy to get around.enjoy Carol

10. Re: krakow christmas market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2010, 06:20