We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi All,

can somebody clear something up for me, I think I read somewhere on here that since October 2008 you can take upto 3200 cigarettes back to the UK for personal use. However I am being told that its still only 200.

On the UK customs website it says you can bring in 3200 but it also says

"The country where you buy tobacco goods may have its own laws on how much you can buy or have in your possession, and what documents you need. If in doubt, check with that country’s authorities before you buy"

Can anyone who has been there recently or who lives shed some light on this?

Many thanks, Bobby.

South of England
Level Contributor
119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi Bobby, it seems the paper work tells you one thing and people with experience tell you another, that's the trouble with forums/newsgroups, you're always going to get conflicting answers. I don't know the answer although I just had a thought that maybe the limit is 200 cigarettes from the airport duty free shops because when you get them there they will be carried on as hand luggage and they don't want everyone carrying 1000's of cigarettes on the plane in hand luggage. just at thought.

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Thanks Paul,

I know what you mean about conflicting info, I might just ring customs at Manchester Airport, see what they say!

Cheers, Bobby

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi All,

just spoke to customs at Manchester Airport and a very helpful chap confirmed that as of 31st December 2008 Poland has had is restrictions on the amount of tobacco and cigarettes lifted!!!

You can now bring out 3200 cigarettes (same as Spain etc..) without having to pay extra vat.

Cheers, Bobby.

South of England
Level Contributor
119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Thanks for sharing your findings, quite a few people have been asking the same question lately.

Okay, so now you have to measure how big 16 packs of 200 cigarettes is and whether you can fit them in the suitcase with all your clothes because there wont be enough over head locker space for everyone to carry 3200 cigarettes as hand luggage. Personally if I have any spare space in my case the wife will find another pair of shoes to fill it with.

Have a great holiday!

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

I hear what your saying Paul!

But with the price of cigarettes these days it might be worth paying the excess baggage charge!!!

They did say you can also take upto 3kg of tobacco, this takes up much less room.

I dont know how much I will enjoy my trip though, Im going to the dentist, these are also much cheaper than in the UK (if you can find one!)

Im having 2 x white fillings and a brace fitted - UK price £3240 - Krakow price £680, now thats value for money!

The dentist surgery is immaculately clean with all the latest equipment, the staff are great, all speak good English and even pick me up from the airport and drop me off.

I still think Krakow is an amazing place despite all the pain I go through!!!

Bobby.

london
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

what is the price of cigarettes in shops in poland and also the duty free shop?

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi,

below is taken from Shadelle257 who posted on another thread -

"I bought my cigarettes in Galleria Krakowska shopping mall. On the ground floor there is a very good cigs shoP, the staff there were very helpfull and spoke a little english. Also most supermarkets will sell you cartons of 200. I only came back from Krakow the 19th of January, but cant remember the actual price I paid? Think it was about 90 zlotys for a carton of Malboro red superkings? Could be a few zlotys less or more? I did try to buy Lambert and Butler for my son, but was unable to in the shops I tried[ luckily my family visited us from Warsaw and brought L and B with them?] I didnt notice any other english cigs apart from malboro lights and malboro red kingsize, but then again I wasnt really looking"

From memory I think the price for 200 cigarettes was about 110 zlotys in the airport - but dont forgot this is not duty free, there is no duty free stuff from Poland as there now in the EU.

Bobby.

Krakow
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi,

Hope you enjoy your trip to Krakow!!!

If anyone needs any advice on the best places to purchase UK cigarettes in Krakow, then you're welcome to PM me..

BTW Bobby, I wonder if that is ABC Dent you're going to?? Been there had treatment, absolute top knotch Dentists plying their trade in there.

Regards

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi Rynektown,

Im using a company called Polish my Smile for my dentistry needs!

They are very good (and very cheap) compared with UK dentists.

I'm really looking foward to being back in Krakow, cant wait to try the new apartments I have found in the Jewish quarter (the Off White Apartments) they seem very stylish and right in the middle of all the action!

Cant find any reviews on here though which is a bit strange.

Cheers, Bobby

Krakow
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How Many Cigarettes Can You Take Home?

Hi bobby,

Just had a quick look on their site and appears to be ok. Obviously the Dental surgery that will be undertaking the work are totally independent from Polish my smile, who I suppose are just acting as a middleman, arranging everything for you, such as:

appointments, transportation, accommodation, ease of communication, etc (do they include the off white apartments, or is that a personal upgrade?). This may not be the best option as regards cost, as you

could just walk into / phone a Clinic of your choosing and book an appointment, but for their seemingly reasonable fee, they take all of that hassle and worry away, leaving you to sit back in the Dentist's chair, have some work undertaken in stages over a few days, whilst enjoying Krakow. I took that route the first time I was there & the

only difference was that ABC Dent didn't have middlemen in the UK, they had their

own speakers and website setup.

Whichever Clinic they arrange for you, all of them are absolutely excellent. I've had Dental work carried out in 3 countries and without a shadow of a doubt Poland isthe absolute best (and being honest the only decent work I had done in the UK was by

a South African).

The only thing in Poland regarding UK cigarettes is that over the past 2 years they have slowly disbanded the UK makes. They used to have Bensons, Mayfair, L&B & Superkings (Marlboro, L&M and makes like that are available). Now if you're lucky you might find a few packs of L&B or Superkings, but would struggle to find 16 cartons in most of the shops, but pm me if you're stuck and I can give some advice.

Either way, enjoy your holiday and don't forget some snow boots/shoes, lol as I look at the 10" of snow that has covered my garden :)

Regards