We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper Train

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeper Train

Does any one know if the overnight from Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Prague have actual sleeper cars?

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
112 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper Train

Yeah, they have actual sleeper cars. I've taken that route a couple of times, and both times I had a small compartment with two beds on the right side of the room, bathroom at the end of the car.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper Train

Click in - sleeper trains in the search on this forum...and you'll see many other postings about this (also in the Prague forum).

They may have beds, but you don't sleep much. :)

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper Train

On the other hand now that both are in the European Union you shouldn't have the passport controls during the night (altho' I always thought they were kind of cool). CHeck which 'class' of sleeper/couchette you get - the number of people you share with varies.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeper Train

They DEFINITELY have the passport controls at night...I just did the trip in August.

Plano, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeper Train

We just returned from a Prague/Krakow/Budapest trip on September 22nd, 2005. We took sleepers between each city. The Polish sleeper was better than the Czech one. Not a lot, but better. They gave you free bottles of water and a free croissant. Prices for juice and stuff were very cheap on both. Coffee was free on the Krakow/Budapest run. They both have passport stops, and the Budapest run has TWO of them since you go through Slovakia and must cross the borders twice. But, you can sleep better to Buda since the run is 10 hours and the stops are further apart. We left at 10:30pm and the first check was at 3:30am, the second at 5:30. The run to Krakow is only 8 hours and the stop comes at 2:30am, with lots of other stops, so you grab bits of sleep. The bunks on both were pretty good. I was surprised at the softness. With the costs on air and the ability to get in w whole other day of sightseeing, plus saving the hotel room cost against the sleeper cost, we'd easily do it that way again.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeper Train

How did you get water and croissants?!?

Like the others have said there are still passport controls, just like flying you still have to go through immigration don't you. Getting woken at some ungodly hour is the worst part but I still found the trip ok and managed to sleep most of the way.

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeper Train

Sorry my misunderstanding - although I did take the precaution of using "shouldn't" rather than "won't". I assumed that being in the EU now would have meant fewer passport controls, I was confusing with the Schengen countries.

PAssport controls don't even involve you getting out of bed though. You lie there, hand your passort over and that's essentially it. Customs usually do no more than have a cursory glance round the compartement.

Get answers to your questions about Krakow