We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auschwitz Transportation

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Auschwitz Transportation

I have read the many postings as to options on getting to Auschwitz from Krakow. I do not want to be rushed by a tour group so I am going on my own.

I know that leaves three options: (1) train; (2) minibus; and (3) egular bus.

I want to get there early to have plenty of time and avoid the rush at beginning. There is a 7:05 train that gets in at 8:33 and thehn 20 minute walk to Camp.

My question is when do the busses and minis start running. Also, I have heard about crowds and the bus and mini bus being full -- is that common? I would hate, for example, to get to bus station and find that the bus is full and have to wait another hour, etc.

So, if anyone can give me their best suggestion--I will be going to Auschwitz on Thursday, May 28.

Thank You!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

First mini bus leaves at 7:10 and will get there at 8:28. Here is a link to the bus station's websitehttp://www.rda.krakow.pl/en/ You'll need to use the Polish characters as Auschwitz is in Oświęcim and the stop you need is Oświęcim Muzeum.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Dear Welshgooner

Thank you. The 7:10 minibus sounds perfect. Does it leave from the bus station or somewhere else. How crowded do you think the minbus would be on a Thursday?

Also, I planned on going to the Salt Mines on my own but am hearing people say the crowds are enrormous? What would you say is the average wait if I get there early on a weekday or a weekend?

Thanks again

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

That minibus would leave from the main bus station which is located next to the train station. As for the salt mines then it can be really hit or miss as to how busy it can be. When I went there, a few years ago, I only had to wait 20 mins before going down the mine but I was really lucky as it was quiet. Check the website for more details www.kopalnia-wieliczka.pl/home.php…

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Willie, I used the mini bus at 0710hrs last week to Auschwitz. It leaves from downstairs in the station, but will be sign posted in the upstairs ticket office. Buy a single ticket (10 zltys)just in case you get a different bus on the way back.I got there at 0650hrs and had no problems. It does get full by the time it has stopped throughout the city, but you will get a seat. The driver called out when we reached the stop for the Camp, but just remember it is the first stop after going past the train station. When you get off,cross the road, go through the gate and the Camp is only 5 minutes walk not 20. Buy the small white guide book (4 zltys ) and do your own tour as the route for both camps is marked out. Go back to the reception area just before 1000hrs to see the English film show then continue back on your walk. Birkenau is a large site, I got the free shuttle bus at 1230hrs and spent over 2hrs walking round. If I can give you one tip, walk to the sauna block as the tour groups did not bother to get that far. Go back to Auschwitz and spend more time in the blocks before catching the bus from same stop. The buses leave at 1536hrs, 1558, 1601, 1653, 1756 & 1858. I say these times as you day will fly by. Hope this helps. Where are you staying in Krakow as I walked to the Ghetto which is just across the river.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Tony

Thank you for the most useful and precise information--I really appreciate it. I will take the early mionibus and follow your suggestions. I am staying at the Qubus Hotel which is very accessible to the Ghetto and will also make a i/2 day visit there as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Willie, A half day walk around the Ghetto will be good walk. If you don't already know, Schindler's factory on Lipowa street(!) is just nearby and will fully open in September. In the meantime only a small part is open to the public. If you get a moment, let me know how you get on as I walked there early evening and it was shut.

This was my second visit to Krakow and I would easily go back again. Have you been before?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Willie,

If you get time, let me know how your trip went. Regards. Tony.

north east england
Level Contributor
95 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

Hi. We were in Krakow in may. We got the mini bus to

Auschwitz at 9am from the bus station. It goes from the lower floor .Local bus goes from stand G1 upstairs from the minibus stand. Think mini bus went from stand D9. Ask the pretzel seller he is very helpful. We got the local bus back which goes from the car park at Auschwitz 1. The mini bus was quicker of the 2 journeys. The mini bus leaves at 3pm,from the back entrance to Auschwitz 1. Both drop you at either the front entrance or back entrance to Auschwitz. Only a couple of minutes walk to the main entrance. Mini bus sign said Oswieciem on the front. Auschwitz is the German name for Oswieciem. The mini bus cost 9pzl and local minibus 10pzl. Earlier you go the less crowded it is. Mini bus took 1 hr 15 mins. Get to the bus station early to get a seat. Book your tour when you get there. Our guide was excellent.

9. Re: Auschwitz Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 05:33
Get answers to your questions about Krakow