We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poland and another country

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Poland and another country

Hi all,

I am thinking of going to Poland and esp of Krakow for about 10 days or so. Afterward, I would like to go to another country. I am curious to which country I can get to from Poland with relative ease. I have been to most western countries and therefore more interested in seeing another eastern country.

I am thinking of flying into Krakow from London and like to take a flight back to London from that yet-undecided country. I hope I make myself clear. Many thanks in advance.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poland and another country

It's pretty straightforward to get to Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Ukraine from Krakow as there are regular train and bus connections. Have a look at www.skyscanner.net for flights back to London (including budget airlines).

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poland and another country

Hi SDWanderlust!

As a DE for Kiev, I’d willingly assist in your planning a trip if you decide to check Ukraine on your way.

US/UK (not sure which one you are) residents don’t need a visa to enter Ukraine for up to 90 days. There’s no problem flying back to London from Kiev either by regular airline flight or a budgetary one (like WizzAir).

You can get from Krakow to Lviv by train No8310 Wrocław – Lviv, departing Kraków at 10:39pm arriving to Lviv at 6:03am. There’s also No7310 traine Wrocław – Kyiv, departing Kraków at 01:41pm arriving to Lviv at 11:44pm, or arriving to Kyiv 10:18am, should you wish to skip Lviv on your Ukraine route.

Welcome to Ukraine Forum if you opt for Ukraine and have any questions about it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poland and another country

Hi Cora,

Many thanks for the reply. I am thinking of visitng Kiev as there is something exotic about that place. In addition, I have been to other countries such as Hungary, Czech, Germany etc. The trip is still at its infancy as I am a bit busy planning for other destinations.

I am currently based in London but a US passport holder.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poland and another country

Well, if it’s only Kiev that you have on your mind while in Ukraine, you might not wish to take the long train that came to my mind off-hand.

In any case, let’s pass this discussion over to Ukraine Forum once you accomplish the rest of your route and proceed with researching on its Ukraine part :)

Bern
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Poland and another country

I would advice Lviv, it is easy to reach from Krakow and overnight train are much better than Polish/Ukrainian cars which run till Kyiv.

And the fare is pretty cheap, plus you can get discount if you purchase r/t ticket (europetrainsguide.com/200907155/Countries/Uk…)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poland and another country

Obviously I am quite ignorant as I have no idea where Lviv is. I need to travel more. I will look up and see where Lviv is. Thanks for the advice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poland and another country

That is a quite a train ride. I was thinking of Poland to Kiev by air and then Kiev back to London by air as well.

Bern
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Poland and another country

Trains in Eastern Europe are much more fun for foreigners than airplane ;)

But anyway, if by air take a look at Katowice-Kyiv by Wizzair (cheapest flights from Poland to Ukraine)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poland and another country

Have to say taking a plane from Lviv to Kiev is also an unforgettable experience, even to locals ;)

SDWanderlust, I agree you should check Lviv if you look for getting more of Ukraine. It differs greatly from Kiev and might serve as a sort of “adapter connector” on your way from Krakow to Kiev.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poland and another country

Can you guys elaborate on the "fun" part? It sounds a bit mysterious and could be scary. It could be like one of your blind dates has who has a "great personality". You know how that usually turns out.