We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

salt mines

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheffield
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
salt mines

are they worth taking a look ?

Brighton England
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: salt mines

A must!

Helps if you are fit(400 steps down to 500'

deep approx) - lift back up to cafe/bar etc.

It is AWESOME - although the tour lasts over 2 hours, you actually see 1 or 2 % of the mine only.

Trick is not to go on an "offical" excursion

(130 Zlotys each) but go to the tourist office off the square & buy tickets (they are valid for any day) @ 55 zlotys each & get the minibus to the mine from opposite

the main post office (5 zlotys each one way !)

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: salt mines

Well......personally I found it kinda boring. If you've been to any other mines I would give it a miss. But just my opinion!

Lincoln UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: salt mines

Visited 13 November 2005. A worthwhile visit and you do not have to be too fit as it is a steady pace but you have to go down 388 steps.

we caught the Lux Bus at 0900 next to main post office (5 zoloty for 2) and paid 88zl for 2 and joined the 1000 English tour. The Lux Bus picks up where it drops you. Get there early they are experinced more visitors than usual. We left at noon and there were long queues waiting o go in.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: salt mines

I'd been hearing about the salt mines near Krakow all my life from my Polish grandma (Babcia) and to be honest still kind of wondered what all the fuss was about. That was until I saw them for myself - they truly are amazing, the carvings are spectacular. We had a great guide too, which always helps.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: salt mines

We booked online prior to travelling and I can honestly say it was worth every penny(sorry Zloty).

I would agree with your previous correspondent who suggested going with a guide.They can add so much more to your trip.

There is a great deal of walking but visually it's absolutely stunning.

Cornwall
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: salt mines

hi, 20 mins outside cracow so very close, well worth a visit, 2 hour tour is standard, doesnt matter about weather or daylight. dont forget tequila, lemon and lump hammer!

all the best...

Ben :)