We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Podgoze area of Krakow

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Podgoze area of Krakow

Is this a convenient location in Krakow?

Are there food markets and such walking distance from apartments in that area or is a car necessary to get around for basics for a month?

Any suggestions for 50 sq meter 2 bdrm apt for about a month?

How much of a walk from there to the city main square/market?

Thank you

Ginny

Colorado USA

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

you could walk i suppose...but its a long walk.... on the other hand its a short ride on the tram to the old town.....so try to locate yourself near a tram line...buy a month pass and ride about at will....find a good bar mleczny type restaurant and eat there...its so inexpensive,good and nutricious that it hardly makes sense to cook for yourself in krakow

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

It's less than 20 minutes to walk to the main square.

And a very short minibus or bus ride to Bonarka, the brand new shopping complex, with the largest supermarket in Krakow (Auchan)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

Hey Casey,

Thanks

How cheap is cheap for dinners? I just returned from SE Asia where meals are "cheap" ( USD$1-$3 for dinners).

I am a travel book writer, so I travel a lot and have a limited budget for accommodations and meals. That is why I prefer staying in apts not hotels.

Do you think that Podgorze (sp?) is a nicer area to stay than the Jewish Qtr?

Thanks

Ginny

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

Hey Casey,

Thanks

How cheap is cheap for dinners? I just returned from SE Asia where meals are "cheap" ( USD$1-$3 for dinners).

I am a travel book writer, so I travel a lot and have a limited budget for accommodations and meals. That is why I prefer staying in apts not hotels.

Do you think that Podgorze (sp?) is a nicer area to stay than the Jewish Qtr?

Thanks

Ginny

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

Hey Ski Bum,

Do you know this area? Is it nicer than Jewish Qtr in your opinion?

Thanks

Ginny

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

It's not got the atmosphere of Kazimierz, or the wide range of nightlife, but is is starting to become 'The next big thing' for property around Krakow.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

well....i think you should be staying where you will be writing about the most....and thats the other side of the river...ie the old town and kazimierz in that order....but if you have a budget.....well i think you could live in podgorze cheaper.....another area you might want to check out is around karmilicka street....still yet another very interesting area is the area between the old town and the river....lots of interesting seccesionist architecture there...to be honest....and i;m no expert....podgorze would be at the bottom of my list...kazimierz is quite lively these days...the area around plac nowy is always hopping....particularly at night........i've forgotten exactly the prices at the bar mleczny type places....they wont be as cheap as asia....but i suspect you could get a good meal for 5 or 6 dollars....drink compote for your beverage of choice there for an authentic feel......the dollar is much stronger this year in poland so that should help alot

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

Thank you both.......good ideas for me to consider....

Another question......

What is the area by Michala Siedleckiego St called?

I am considering an apt on that street across from the ice skating rink.

Is that a better area than Jewish Qtr? It is just east and also south of the city center.

What are your thoughts on this?

Molto grazie,

Ginny

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

Hey Casey,

Do you know any apts by Karmilicka St. Where you suggested?

Ginny

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Podgoze area of Krakow

well....siedlecki st. is a bit off the beaten path so i have never been there...but it is near the old town and kaz....therers a tram and stores on starowislna...though that street is hardly the prettiest street in krakow.....karmelicka is much prettier....higher quality buildings,stores,restaurants....the tram goes there also...i believe there are some buildings of the jagiellonian university nearby.....i'm not familiar with apts there .........but i tried putting in my search engine apartments karmelicka and got quite a few hits