We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for help please

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for help please

Hi i am looking to book krakow as a christmas present for my husband without him knowing.Could anyone please let me know the best area to stay and are taxis expensive from the airport.The obvious reason for going is auchwitz so i must get this right,any information would be much appreciated x

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for help please

While in Krakow you might also consider visiting Wawel Castle as well as the Wielisca Salt Mines, wandering around the old town, it's not all Auschwitz. :-)

The train from the airport into town is dirt cheap and easy to use. From the train station you can get a taxi (there's a rank nearby) which will be much cheaper than a taxi all the way from the airport.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for help please

You should stay in the Old Town - it's where you'll be spending most of your time and it's close to all the transport to Auschwitz. A taxi to the Old Town from the airport should cost you around £15-20, but the train is cheaper at around £1.50. It's then an easy walk from the train station to the Old Town (unless there's been heavy snow, of course). Bear in mind that at that time of the year, it's getting dark by 3.30pm and the Auschwitz Museum is only open until 3pm.

scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for help please

Thank you so much for your help ,i think i should manage fine x

dundee
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for help please

You will love Krakow.I made my first visit in april,and i am now returning in october.There is so much to see and do,and the Market Square is lovely,and also Auchwitz is a must. Best Regards Bonnie Scotland.

Krakow, Poland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for help please

Hi,

I'm Polish and I live in Krakow. Here it is; taxi from Balice airport to the city centre should be around 75-80 PLZ. If you are accustomed to a confortable live take it. If you can just go with others take train from airport to the city centre. Cost around 8 PLZ , travel time 16 mins, it will take you to the main train station which is around 2 mins from the main squere (Rynek Główny). You should manage even with lots of bags. To get to train platform just go outside of the airport and get into the airport bus. It will take you with all of your baggage to platform which is around 500 meters from the airport exit. Whatever type of accomodation you look for make sure it is within walking distance from the Main Squere (the Rynek Gółwny). Krakow is a compact city. You can walk it as you would walk Florence or similar city. Not much sense to use taxi. You can buy tram/bus tickets (it is the same ticket) in every single kiosque. When you see some news papers you can easily assume tickets are sold there as well. You need to validate your ticket in a machine inside of the bus or tram you board. Keep it for inspecitions which are frequent (penalties for not having tickets around 120 PLZ, not worth it!). Go to Wieliczka unless you want to lose a live experience. You can go to Aushwitz by public transport (less than 10 PLZ) such as trains / private buses (more recomended - ask at your hotel) or with some organized group (tickets around 100 PLZ - not sure if worth it, I wouldn't do this it is a pity to spend 100 instead of 10). the organized trips can be found everywhere - lots of advertisements, normally they get you there and back by a small bus. You will need to pay entrance even if you are in an organized group. Be careful with FX. Avoid exchange points marked orange. They cheat on tourists. Use some small private one, as far as possible away from the main square, the far you are from it the better FX rate you will get. Don't forget to have a beer and enjoy.

scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for help please

Thank you so much your information has been very helpful.One more thing what is the average price for beer and food to eat out?I have booked today and am so excited my husband will love his xmas present,once again thanks x

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for help please

You'll find food and drink a fair bit cheaper than in Scotland!

It could be very cold in December so make sure you take all your winter clothes, just like at home!

Don't waste money on a tour to Auschwitz as they are very, very expensive. Just take the regular bus which goes right into the carpark at Auschwitz and returns from there, too. Simple! there are plenty detailed instructions here if you use the search box.

Best to stay in the old town near the Market Square. Kazimierz is also popular but we found it very quiet by October last year.

Many hotels will offer an airport transfer, more expensive than train but so simple when you're carrying luggage and in a strange town!

Where are you thinking of staying - apartments are a popular alternative to hotels in Krakow. We stayed in the Grodzka Apartmenhouse which we really liked, extra space, not too expensive, a cooker, fridge and table to sit at. Good idea if you're not the type to make much use of all hotel facilities.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for help please

I'd disagree that tours to Auschwitz are expensive and especially a waste of money. It's horses for courses, most people don't like the hassle or worry about finding the right bus or bus stop, many don't like being packed in like cattle on a bus with no leg room.

Not all buses from Krakow go to the camp, some only as far as the train station, you can wait upto 1/2 an hour for the shuttle bus to and from Birkenhau, then again be packed on like cattle.

The buses don't provide you with guide books and maps to the camps

Many hotels in Krakow are quite a walk from the bus station, so taxis are often required to get to and from the bus.

Yes you can certainly do it cheaper than tours, but nowhere near as easily or comfortably.

Dundee, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for help please

Can highly recommend Hotel Wawel in ul Poselska, just off Grodzka Street. Only a couple of minutes walk to main square, really helpful staff, fantastic breakfasts and nice and quiet. Great rooms. Been there every year for the past 10 years and every year it gets better and better. You will love Krakow. Have a great trip! We did an organised tour to Auschwitz and it meant we avoided all queues. Worth the extra money.

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
513 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for help please

Hi,I can recommend the Globtroter Hotel,check out reviews on this site.We enjoyed it so much last December we are going again next week.