We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking distances

ireland
Level Contributor
356 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
walking distances

staying in an apartment just off the main square in the old town. trying to find out what are the walking distances to the following attractions;

galicia museum

oskar schindler factory

the zoo

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking distances

well its not necessary to walk to these places....krakow has an excellent and inexpensive tram system....unfortunately the old town is pedestrianized except for all saints square which is currently being done over....so you cannot use that for the time being...the galicja museum is perhaps 15 minute walk at the far end of kazimierz...but an interesting walk....schindlers place ask at your apt which tram to take as its accross the river...in bad weather it would not be such a nice walk...ask also about the zoo....love the trams in krakow....pay 1 price for the day and ride to your hearts content....use them!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking distances

Which other places should I visit during my stay in Cracow? I'd like to see places not many people know they exist:)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking distances

casey128 said

""""....unfortunately the old town is pedestrianized except for all saints square which is currently being done over....so you cannot use that for the time being."""""

I will be in Krakow 31 Oct to 5th Nov Will the trams be running through All Saints Sq by then.

THanks

DAVE

http://djmp.co.uk/krakowindex/

Barcelona
Level Contributor
479 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking distances

It is "unfortunately" pedestranized? I'd say there are not enough streets that are only for pedestrians/bikes/public transport. Seriously, the amount of cars on the streets is a huge urban problem here. If people could they would park on the Market Square or on Wawel.

Anyways, the works on the All Saints Square are supposed to finish end of October but virtually every single public construction work during the last couple of years has been delayed so I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 21:54
dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking distances

oh oh....i guess i mispoke....i'm all for a pedestrianized old town...in fact i wish it was even stricter as cars are parked all over the place now....so let the record speak of that...i guess i meant that it would be difficult to get to the trams easily from the old town now that all saints square tram stop is down....and while i'm on the subject....has the car traffic in the rest of the town gotten out of hand....traffic jams on plac nowy?....was at my favorite cafe there and had to move cause of some guys exhaust from his car was no nausious...are cars going to ruin krakow?

Barcelona
Level Contributor
479 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking distances

Well, the whole city is more or less jammed. Plac Nowy, not being the transit area hasn't seen a lot of traffic jams but the whole area suffers from rampant parking on the sidewalks.

In Krakow there are now 600 cars per 1000 citizents, while for example in Berlin the ratio is only 300/1000. Long-term the situation is unbearable and unsustainable.

7. Re: walking distances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 07:16