We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auchwitz help please!!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Auchwitz help please!!

Hi everyone

Myself and 7 mates are going to krakow in 2 weeks and would love to visit auchwitz. How exactly do we get there ourselves? Or would people recommend organising a private transfer such as a mini bus??

Also, how long do people think a trip would take? For example, if we got the bus there at about 10 am what time would people think we would get back to krakow at the earliest roughly?? We are only there for 3 days and so would prefer not to take way too long if it could be avoided, but obviously we don't want to hurry through so it's not worth it!!

Finally, is it worth a guided tour? Or will it be good just to walk round ourselves?? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

Hi, As there will be 8 of you it's probably worth bartering for a good price with a taxi.

If you walk to the train station there are loads of taxi drivers who will pounce on you, just don't pay the 1st price they offer you.

Personally I would rather walk around on my own you will get a map when you go in and then you take your time.

I think we were there for about 3 hours. Go early in the morning would be best.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

So do you have any idea how much a taxi might be?? And what about coming back? Do you know if there will be taxis there waiting? I suppose we could always get the local transport back if we have to!!

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

The price for the taxi will be return and they will wait for you. Not sure on the price but will find out and let you know as I am on my way there. Yippee

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

O cool thanks a lot!! So the taxi would just wait for hours????

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

Hi I will give you some info when I get back just in case my Internet goes down:)

u.k
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

We took the public bus and it cost us 10 zlotys each for a single ticket.We went round with a guide when we got there and that cost us around £9 each and was very informative. The giude took 2 hours around Auschwitz and an hour around Birkenbau. The bus takes about 1 hour 30 mins each way so I'd say you need to allocate the best part of a day to visit there. We came back last week so feel free to ask about anything you think I could help you with.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

Was the 2 hours there, long enough?

As have read on the forum , that people take a private tourist guide, so that they can spend a longer time in Auchwitz..

I was last there over 30 years ago with my Dad, who was a prisoner in Auchwitz. Very emotional, not sure I could go in again.

But hubby and daughter want to do a tour.

I have heard that it is much smaller now, is this true?

My Dad actually found the barracks he was in.

Just thinking about it has bought tears to my eyes.

Danuta.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

It's not easy to find on the street taxi for 8 passengers. For a saloon car you will pay at least 300 PLN. I think is better and chepar to book private tour by a minibus.

u.k
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

Personally I found the 2 hours at Auschwitz to be enough and you always have the option to go back around on your own later should you feel the need. There are benches behind the museum buildings and hardly any people there so it would be nice to just sit quietly and contemplate on what you've seen. Having been there myself and discovered how easy it is to get there by public bus I would never go with the private tours,it's far to expensive and you could spend that money elsewhere.

10. Re: Auchwitz help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 20:35
Edited: 07 November 2010, 20:35