We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kazimierz - points of interest

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kazimierz - points of interest

Hi -

I am looking to explore Kazimierz on foot during my forthcoming trip in March with my Mother and Gran. We will be getting a taxi to the Schindler Factory then after we have explored we will walk towards Kazimierz along the bridge.

Can anybody tell me of any points of interest along the way? From my recollection there is a square that has oversized chairs in memory of the Holocaust. Is this enroute back from Lipowa Str area? A map of Kazimierz and suggested places on interest would be great :) If anybody can help....

We have booked a meal at Ariel Restaurant for one Evening, but can anybody kindly recommend a place for lunch? We are not on a strict budget, so we are felxible on price. However atmosphere and Polish/ Jewish Food is a must!

Many Thanks -

Vanessa

Day Trip to Auschwitz Birkenau and...
262 reviews
from US$87.20*
Full-Day Tour to Auschwitz-Birkenau...
93 reviews
from US$72.90*
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum and...
249 reviews
from US$48.00*
Special Offer
Krakow Super Saver...
797 reviews
from US$87.20*
US$94.70
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kazimierz - points of interest

There's not much left of the Jewish Ghetto in Podgorze but you should visit the last remaining section of the wall on ul. Lwowska, the Pharmacy Under the Eagle on Plac Bohaterow Getta (The Ghetto Heroes' Square) and the square itself (the chairs represent the furniture and goods that the Jews forced to mover over the river from Kazimierz to the ghetto had to leave behind).

In Kazimierz there are many places of interest - I'd say visit the Tempel and Remuh Synagogues for sure, Plac Nowy (the round building in the middle was a ritual slaughterhouse and the only place in the city where you could buy both kosher and non kosher meat) and the Enthographic Museum on Plac Wolnica.

One note of caution - I advise all my visitors to avoid the Jewish-themed restaurants. They're generally pretty bad and even my Jewish friends are ahgast at what they pass off on unsuspecting tourists. In fact, I had the worst meal of my life in Ariel (and I'm not at all a fussy eater) and even the best of the bunch, Klezmer Hois wasn't great. If you want Polish food, try U Doroty or the canteen on ul. Miodowa.

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kazimierz - points of interest

you really dont need to take a cab to schinlers museum....take the tram....and when you get out at the station you will see the square with the chairs....face the river and head to the right for several moments and you will see the museum

3. Re: Kazimierz - points of interest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 10:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kazimierz - points of interest

We stayed in that area in an apartment. I happened to notice a few scene locations for Schindler's list. I forget the exact locations. If interested, I'm sure a local can give you exact locations.

5. Re: Kazimierz - points of interest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:17