We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attempted street robbery in Krakow

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
53 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Attempted street robbery in Krakow

I'm sure the following is not a monopoly of Krakow, but just to share our experience.

Mid afternoon, broad daylight at the bottom of the Castle hill close to the Jewish Quarter. Approached by a well dressed, pleasant young man who verified we were tourists and asked for directions. A few seconds later, approached by a tough looking angry bloke who claimed to be a 'secret policeman' - flashed ID, and asked to see ours. 'Nice young man' complied, so did we - our ID in our wallets. Angry bloke then started sniffing all our wallets'for drugs' and started handling our money shouting 'do not change money in street'. I realised this was a really bizzare situation, grabbed Angry's arm and started shouting at him to let go. He handed back the few banknotes that he had palmed and walked away casually. 'Nice young man' made a big show of being shaken and made his escape, again casually. We felt absolute idiots for falling for this scam - the two were obviously in cahoots. It took us too long to get our heads around what had happened to call for assistance. There had been no threat of violence and Angry bloke obviously didn't want any aggro either - I'm quite a big guy. All's well that ends well, but be prepared. It seems the Jewish quarter is developing a reputation as the 'iffy' part of town.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

What a strange experience. I think you handled it well!

england
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

I have to say in all my years visiting Krakow i have never encountered anything like this, i am visiting again next week, thanks for the heads up.

Kraków
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

I guess I have seen identical scam in the BBC TV show. I don't remember the name, it's the one showing different scams to warn people.

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
53 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

It's called 'The Real Hustle'. Funny thing, I watch it as well, and I've always thought that I wouldn't fall for anything like that. I don't feel quite so smug now! ;- )

kilkenny ireland
Level Contributor
202 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

thanks for posting this report,

it sounds just like the passport scam that has been in operation in prague over the years,

2 so called under cover passport police approch you and and ask to check your wallets and id and then panic people into handing over everything as one guy questions you the other happily helps himself to your belongings and then hands them back to you minus your money and tells you to keep moving.

i have never really carried much things while away in money or id while out and about,

i would just carry enough cash for the day and a photo copy of some id while leaving everything back in the hotel safe,

if they are genuine police they will have no problem going back to the hotel to check this out,

on the money i have learned that only carry enough that you can afford to lose and if you are pick pocketed it wont ruin the rest of you hoilday or even better wont ruin your health if things get a bit rough

im going to krakow on saturday and thanks to you will be on the look out for this scam.

overall this should not put off anyone going there as i have been there twice befor and never heard of any trouble like this there and felt very safe there.

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

im very suprised to hear this, we where in Krakow about 2 weeks ago, we stayed in Kazimierz and always felt very safe when out and about, but i guess every city has its problems, it pays to be careful. Hope it didnt put you off returning as its a wonderful city...

G and L

7. Re: Attempted street robbery in Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 03:17