We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow ever been??

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow ever been??

Going to Krakow for 5 days and trying to figure out the best usage of time there. Auschwitz and the Salt Mines will be on my to do list would they take a day each?

Was going to try and squeeze in a day trip to Warsaw also but dont know if that would be too much. For Auschwitz and the Salt Mines I tried to look on my hotel's website "Senacki" to see if they can organise the day trip's for us but I dont see any info. Are they easy to book yourself or would I need to book them in advance before I arrive (going in Sept).

Does Poland have an all in one public transport ticket or would I be better just paying per day seeing as I may be on day trips for 3 of the days?

Any recommendations on nice bars/restaurants would be helpful too.

Sorry for all the questions just want to get some opinions from either people who have been there or locals

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow ever been??

i spent 4 days/3 nights in Krakow last March (2011) and felt i should have spent more! Krakow is a small city, largely flat and easy to move around. I walked all the time and never really used the public transport although I understand the trams were good. I took a cab from the train station to my hotel with some Cracovians I met on the train from Warsaw, and that's the only public transport I took. I stayed at Bluebells Apartments which was right between Kazimierz (the Jewish quarter and the place to be for great food & music) and the Old Town, both like 15 minutes walk from the apartments (2 tram stations literally next to the apartments). The Kazimierz area is the place to venture for good food, edgy music scene, etc. I suggest to simply pay a tram or cab ride only if you really need one.

I am Catholic so I took a private tour to both Janas Gora and Auschwitz only because tours to Janas Gora happens only once a week but going to Auschwitz should be no problem. It is nearer to the city and very popular destination that a daily tour is available. I think you can book these activities here in TripAdvisor,

Given my bad experience in Warsaw, I really cannot recommend it but then again it's only a 3-hour train ride from Krakow so it might be worth it. it is the capital after all but make sure to book all in advance because it seems there are more bad people in Warsaw. the Cracovians I met on the train (from Warsaw) felt the same way.

Enjoy Krakow! it's a marvelous city!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
817 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow ever been??

Hi there,

Both Krakow and Warsaw have all-in one-day, or 3-day tickets. You buy them in each city (as in there isn't one ticket that works for multiple cities). The tickets are very inexpensive.

I don't think Warsaw has more bad people :-) By all means, visit the capital - it will be an interesting study of the contrast of the old capital and the new capital. Warsaw certainly has a different energy and an interesting WW2 history and post-war urban development.

It's best to see Auschwitz and the Salt Mines on separate days - less of a rush from the two points. 1/2 day for Aushwitz + 1/2 day in Krakow. Then 1/2 day in the mines + 1/2day in Krakow. Public transport can get you to both places.

For restaurants, what budget range are you looking at?

Geoje, South Korea
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow ever been??

Ive been to Krakow twice and its a fabulous place. I would definitely recommend visiting Auschwitz and the salt mines on two seperate days - going in the same day would be very tiring. They are really easy to book - there are tourist offices off the main square etc where you can book the tickets.

I also never used the public transport much - except when I was going to Schindlers factory so I cannot comment on that really. I used the train to get from the airport

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow ever been??

Auschwitz and the salt mines in the same day is not a problem, usually leaving Krakow at around 08:00 and returning around 18:00. This gives you 2 1/2 hours at Auschwitz, 1 1/2 hours at Birkenhau then a 2 hour tour at the salt mine.

5. Re: Krakow ever been??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 04:18