We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

Hi folks,

I have taken some British money with me as an emergency back up in case my Polish zloty was getting low. Looking at the exchange rates for GBP at the Kantors in ul. Florianska, they are hovering around 4.5 to 4.6 zl to the pound, GREAT, better than back home.

Not so great. Why? Two places only offered 3zl to the pound because the notes were from a Scottish bank. Another refused to deal with them. When I asked why, the person pointed to the Union Jack and said calmly, "We only deal with this money." GRRRRR!

Perhaps they should change the Union Jack emblem in the display to the flag of St. George?

I eventually found a place in the Main Square which accepted my notes at just over 4zl to the pound, but the person told me they have a problem with Scottish notes. She wouldn't say what the problem is.

Oh, if your thinking about changing your Scottish notes to English notes, make sure the notes you receive are new. I had an 'old' Bank of England 20 pound amongst my Scottish money and they refused to exchange it because it was 'old' It wasn't damaged or torn in any way so I don't know what was 'old' about it.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

The rampantscotland site advises :

Exchange all your Scottish notes for Bank of England notes (or your home currency) before you leave Scotland. You may have difficulty in exchanging Scottish notes in parts of England or abroad.

If you exchange Scottish notes abroad, you will probably get a poorer exchange rate than for Bank of England notes.

From your experience their advice is spot on

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

Scottish notes are not always accepted in England, dont mention abroad.

"The old'' 20 pound note you are talking about must have featured Edgar Elgar on the back which was withdrawn at some point last year.

Always take English notes when going abroad.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

What is the current rate for USD? We'll be in Krakow in October>

Kk
Level Contributor
19 posts
4. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

Currently USD/zl is about 2.9 but it changes a lot recently.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

Looks like it would be best to deal with Euro exchange rather than US dollars?

6. Re: Exchange rate for Scottish pound less than English in Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 16:17