We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leamington Spa...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Con you in at exchange rate of 4.57 for UK pound but only give 3.30. When they handed over PLN, I challenged them yet the would not back down. Avoid these guys at all costs.

13:00 - 30 July 2011

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

There have been a lot of warnings here about this operation. It is the one with the big Orange sign? What they advertise is the rate they use to convert zloty back to pounds [or whatever] and not the rate they give when you exchange pounds for zloty. The other "clever" ploy is to advertise the rate that applies when you change very large sums of money. The amounts very few tourists would need.

If ever in doubt as to the rate ask the question - So if I give you [say] 10 / 100 pounds how many zloty / euro / etc do I get.

Any reluctance to write it down or show you on a calculator and, as the beer advert used to say, time for a sharp exit

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Intercharge , chain of "kantor" with big bright orange signs. Yes , I confirm it, Intercharche is notorious for riping off. The real rate is 3.30 , not approx 4.65. You absolutely need to avoid them if you don`t want to loose your money.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

I was also ripped off in one of these places. I have made more than 15 visits to Poland and this is the first time. I am so annoyed. Thanks for your post.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

So where do you recommend we exchange our money?

Kraków
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Avoid of those orange exchange offices. There are a few in the old town - all of them inform you about the buying rate and have sell rate hiden somwhere behind.

You'll find a fair rate in hotel Europejski on Lubicz str. near to the station and also on Wielopole str. but always think twice before you decide to change your money.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

You may want to go to any bank?

Kk
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Kantor on Sławkowska Street is good.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

I'd avoid going to the bank unless you are using an ATM. The "local" Kantors gernerally give good / fair exchange rates. I always got a better rate in Poland than in England. Most will be commission free. Make sure the rate quoted is how many zloty you get for your currency. If in doubt just ask - so how many zloty do I get for x of "my" currency. Rates can vary a little but in my experience if you just have a look round, avoid changing at airports, railways stations and at "Orange" you won't go too far wrong

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

Grosz on Slawkowska is usually the best rate available.

Beware also one of the so called 'Orange Kantors' must have read some of the warnings because they have now changed the colour to blue, this one to watch out for is close to the main square on Florianska.

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interchange Poland, ul. Pijarska 23, Krakow rip off

I got cheated there last week as well.

Saw EUR 4.49 and GBP 5.12

Went in, changed 100 pounds +150 euros and got 850 pln

The witch at the till was standing in front of the only board that had the prices.

she wrapped the receipt around a visiting card so that i could only see the final value when she gave me money. as I walked out I realized something must have gone wrong so went back in.

I speak polish (almost) fluently so I could communicate with her.

She said that because I had left the till she can't to an refund but if I want to (with a very cocky tone as if she was implying I was wasting my time) I could email the central office in Warsaw.

Done some research on the company and found some strange things:

1) Company is Dutch, registered in Amsterdam

2) No one single exchange office in the Netherlands

3) Website on a Hungarian domain

4) Central office in Warsaw does not respond

5) No direct way of contacting the head quarters in Amsterdam (i.e. no phone or fax)

6) Contact email is diana@...., a bit strange for an international firm.

I will fax them the complaint later today citing both European and Polish Customer Protection Acts.

If they don't respond I will have some close friends (lawyers) in Poland look into them.

Also if they do not amend their working procedure ASAP I will be emailing every airline and major online travel agency in Europe so that they warn their customers about this.

If you know anyone traveling abroad I would warn about this.

Sami