We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

information please

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
information please

going to krakow in a weks time could anyone tell me if i should change my money at home or in poland i have read the posts but the lady at our post office said i should change it here thanks

Day Trip to Auschwitz Birkenau and...
196 reviews
from US$85.35*
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum Half-Day...
1,384 reviews
from US$47.37*
Special Offer
Krakow Super Saver...
815 reviews
from US$85.35*
US$91.45
Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum and...
240 reviews
from US$37.56*
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: information please

Of course the lady in the Post Office says to change it in UK - the PO make money by you doing that! Generally [as in every time] I found I got up to 10% more zloty by changing in Poland than UK. Avoid Interchange [the Orange one] / Western Union as they quote the buy back rate. their sell rate is quite poor compared to the other Kantors.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: information please

Ignore the lady in the PO change your money in krakow far better rate and you can change it as you need it.

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: information please

thank you

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: information please

Hi,

Not sure what time you land in krakow but if you can change your money there. I did not take one zloty with me. I changed enough at the airport for the train fare into the city then changed the rest there. One of the best kantors i found was at 22 karmelicka, just before the left hand road named Rajska. 5.14 to the £ on monday, 5.21 on the friday. The main square kantor's were offering about 5.05, i did see lower. Not a huge amount in it but worth the walk.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: information please

I don’t think I’d be comfortable arriving in a country with no local currency at all. What if the airport kiosk is closed or the ATM is broken? In Poland you will find that your UK bank card will probably be recognised and will let you withdraw cash and even give you an English language screen. You will get a better rate in Poland, as Tony in Warsaw says avoid the orange shops. The best rates are outside the tourist areas, you don’t have to go far, just a couple of streets out of the tourist hot spots.

Get enough PLN to get you through the first 12/24 hours, get as small notes as you can in the UK. Look at http://mojeinwestycje.interia.pl/wal/kantory

kup/sprz = buy/sell

kup = kupować

sprz = sprzedać

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: information please

I hardly ever exchange any money before travelling within European Union. I always take more than one atm/credit card with me, and that's it. When I need cash, I withdraw some from the ATM, otherwise simply pay with CC ( I know that by doing this I lose twic on exchange rates).

So, what I would recommend, is take some British cash with you, withdraw some Polish money from an ATM at the airport for the train, then either pay with your cards in the town or exchange the british cash.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: information please

Exchange your money in Poland! At the airport exchange money you will need to get to the city center and than exchange rest. In the city center they have better rates or just withdraw money from an ATM, much more simpler and you don't have to worry about the rates.

rotherham
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: information please

I got £30 in polish and took English cash loads of kantors just keep checking the rate till you find a good rate . Easy honest

As stated on here many times avoid the bright orange kantors the rate out side is to good to be true .

As its the buy back rate and not the selling rate enjoy your hols

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: information please

Luki's answer is best.

Atm's are the way to go.

We travel abroad a couple of times a year ( from US).............usually end up with some Euros from a previous trip (they're pretty widely accepted in Europe if you have nothing else,) but there's no way I'd try to get Zlotys here before the trip...........even if it was possible, the price would be terrible.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: information please

And yes, on our visit to Krakow, we showed up without Zlotys and use the atms. If one doesn't work, try another.