We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Auschwitz...

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about Auschwitz...

My husband and I will be arriving in Krakow on September 14 and leaving the evening of September 17 to go to Prague via the night train. I know there are tons of posts on Auschwitz already and I have tried to find all my answers but I need clarification on a few things :)

We have decided to go to Auschwitz by public transport or hire a driver (such as Bob's taxi if available) as we want to have as much time as we want there and not feel rushed.

People have talked about arriving at 10:15 by public transport just in time for the English tour at 10:30. I understand that this tour is organized by Auschwitz and is about 3 hours for Auschwitz and Birkenau.

My questions are:

1) I have read that there are certain times that you are required to join these tours. Will this be the case in September or will we be able to go around ourselves?

2) If you do join the tour do you have to leave when the tour is done or are you allowed to go around more yourself if you want?

3) Would you recommend the tours organized by Auschwitz? Do they feel rushed?

4) Has anyone used Bob's Taxi? I have read great reviews ... that he shows you a video on the way (the one that is also played at Auschwitz therefore saves you time while you are there) and will wait as long as you want? Any comments?

We can go to Auschwitz on Saturday or Sunday (or possibly Monday - we will be catching the night train to Prague that night). Is one of those days less busy then another?

Thank you so much for your help and clarification!

Krakow Auschwitz - Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Good Cracow Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Krakow Free Walkative Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Krakow Urban Adventures
Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

The Museum's website says that between 10am-3pm during April-October, you can only visit Auschwitz 1 as part of a tour. Outside these times/dates you can walk around as you want. There are no restrictions on visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau.

I think that an official tour will probably give you the most information.

Level Contributor
54 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

We went to Auschwitz and Birkenau with Bob. he drove us there and waited whilst we went round. Best to go early before all the tour buses arrive. Better to experience it at a quiet time. He then took us over to birkenau. we left krakow at 8 am and were back about half one. I'm not sure that one needs a guided tour as it is all very self explanatory. Well worth a visit

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

Great! Thanks a lot for your replies!!

Fiona, would you recommend Bob?

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

I visited with an organized tour and was very satisfied. Our guide was quite knowledgeable and informed and made the tour even more interesting.

Level Contributor
5,170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

I went to Auschwitz too with Bob in June 2010, very efficient and informative man. I would recommend him.

6. Re: Confused about Auschwitz...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 10:18