We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

any one any good info on driving from the uk / via eruo tunnel to

krakow / auschwitz / where to dop what to see ??? ( apaprt from the obvious )

we have a a good 8-9 days in mid june and fancy doing this

we would fly by choice but just fancy driving...yes it is a long way but hubbie is a uk HGV driver....and is used to the 6 -9 hr drives a day - so no worries there....and im the 2nd driver...have good exp of driving abroad.....

any advice will be great thanks....

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

forgot to add that this is planned for late May ..eraly june of this yr

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
219 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

First of all – Euro 2012 football championship starts on June 8th so make sure to plan you trip in May as the hotel prices are ridiculous starting June and there be crowds of football fans there occupying all places and elevating the prices. Although Krakow is not one of the hosting cities but it WILL be a hub for numerous fans.

It’s about 14 hour drive form Calais. I love car trips to so I am sure you will enjoy. Most of the trip you’ll drive on highway through Germany – I have no advice on sightseeing in Germany except maybe one- you will be passing by Dresden which is definitely worth a stop. Called Germany’s Florence has some beautiful architecture and a lot of history in the air.

When in Poland – stop in Wroclaw (on the way) and spend at leas one day/night there. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful and exciting cities in Poland. Some like it more that Krakow (including me). Lot to see and do there.

When venturing outside of Krakow of course (you wrote it already) one must see Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp Museum – strong and touching experience. Also – do a half-day trip to Wieliczka Salt Mines (incredible!- google it).

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

oh forgot about the football !!!!!! stupid me !!!!

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

Personally, unless you really like driving for the sake of it, and days spent on motorways and autobhans, I would fly. 2 flights from Manchester, plus a few days car hire could well work out cheaper than ferries (peak season), fuel, European car insurance and breakdown cover and all the aggro that goes with travelling over the channel and through several countries.

The public transport is excellent in Krakow, and having a car there could be more hassle than it's worth. You can take the train or bus to Auchwitz, salt mines, etc. You could either hire a car to visit other places, or use the extremely cheap trains.

Driving could be a busman's holiday for your husband, but it won't be much of a holiday if you spend all your time staring at the truck in front, rather than taking in the sights.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

We drove from the UK to Poland with Krakow the first stop, other than an overnight on the way. From Manchester this is going to be the best part of 20 hours so out of 8 or 9 days I'd say it is too much.

If you fancy driving then look at car hire in Poland and use it to tour a bit. That's got to be better than the slog just to get there and back?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

I've done the drive quite a few times and I always really enjoy it :) Depending on the route you take, along the way you can stop in Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp, Cologne, Munster, Berlin, Dresden or Wroclaw. It usually takes me 13 hours from Dunkerque to Krakow. The Michelin site is a good place to start planning your route.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

thanks for all the replys...we will lokk at driving and flying.....ta very much....

8. Re: driving from the uk .7 day holiday ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 10:31