We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow to Budapest

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow to Budapest

We will be going from Krakow to Budapest in the fall.

I have researched and it doesn't seem like there is any easy way to get there.

1. How easy would it be to rent a car in Poland and drop off in Budapest? What are the roads like and border crossing, etc.? We are Americans and have never driven in a foreign country.

2. I can't seem to find a train with no connections or maybe only 1. Is this possible? If it is a night train what are they like, safe? Also, can you buy these tickets on line. I tried on the Polish site and it wouldn't let me price them.

3. Also can't seem to find a flight going on the day we want to go. This would be October 2nd. Originally I found something on German Wings, but not on that date.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for so many questions, but I am confused here.

Same thing happened when researching Dresden to Krawkow. No flights, not an easy train ride. We decided to go to Wroclaw instead and stay there 2 days to break up the longer train ride to Krakow.

Thanks again

Cheryl

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow to Budapest

I think that the best option is travel by plane (Ryanair - http://www.ryanair.com/en)

Flights every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Flight time is one hour. Departure 22:00. Cost is something about 91,20 PLN = 28,5 USD now.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 17:50
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow to Budapest

As I wrote in some other thread on this forum, Ryanair has recently opened new flight connection from Krakow to Budapest. Tickets can be really cheap if bought in advance but now it's too early to buy tickets for fall.

There is also a train that connects Krakow and Budapest but I don't know the details. Last time I asked tickets cost was around 300 PLN but now I'm not sure. There are fares listed somewhere on the forum so use a search engine and you will find it. But I would recommend flying - it can sometimes be even cheaper than trains.

There is no direct flight or train connection Dresden-Krakow. But it may be even better for you cos you will see Wroclaw - one of the most beautiful places in Poland :))

Edited: 06 February 2012, 17:58
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow to Budapest

The new Ryanair route is your best bet, but Orangeways run a regular bus to Budapest from Krakow - I believe it takes about 8 hours. A one-way car hire will be heinously expensive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow to Budapest

We were supposed to do this leg of our trip this past fall and had to cancel because of family emergency but have rescheduled the trip for middle of May. We had purchased rail tickets for overnight train travel Krakow-Budapest through a Polish booking agency, Polrail (Jeffrey Dobek is a regular contributor on this forum). They were able to get us the SparNight ticket which is a discounted ticket, for a 2 sleeper couchette on an overnight train. Their service is excellent and we will be rebooking for this coming trip. The tickets aren't able to be purchased internationally, so they'll purchase them on our behalf 60 days out. You can purchase overnight train tickets while in Krakow several days before travelling to Budapest, but depending on the time of year you're travelling, there may not be the special fare tickets available. The SparNight fare was around 544 PLN (2 passengers, incl. commission & delivery by air mail) for the 2 sleeper couchette which is equivalent to just about $175 Cdn. for the 10 hr. trip.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow to Budapest

The night train leaves Krakow at 9.54pm and arrives in Budapest at 8.35am - quite a civilised hour.

We took the night train from Krakow to Prague, booking through Polrail like glory7 above, and the trip was fine - not particularly luxurious and the coffee in the morning was undrinkable (you see that we have our priorities in order; it was a Czech train, so perhaps that makes a difference!), but we had a cabin to ourselves with share facilities down the end of the carriage (no problem with cleanliness) and it was a fun way of getting from A to B. I heartily recommend www.polrail.com as well when it comes to booking tickets.

The only thing that we found about overnight train travel in Europe is that, although we slept quite well on the train, we felt very tired the next day and always needed a nap to recover from the journey. You may be made of sterner stuff!

As ewainkrakow said above, hiring a car will be prohibitively expensive due to the one-way drop off fee; I really wouldn't recommend it. The Orangeways bus to which she refers has a timetable here:

orangeways.com/en/budapest-krakkow-busline

They have two afternoon bus runs and one overnighter per week and the cost is around 31 euros per person.

Apart from taking a direct flight with Ryanair, you can fly from Krakow to Budapest in three to four hours if you're willing to have a short stop en route. For 2 October, Air Berlin is showing a fare of 121 euros per person flying via Berlin (4 hour trip), and LOT has an early flight via Warsaw which will take 3 hours and cost 176 euros. Not cheap, and of course you have to factor in extra time getting to and from airports, but it's another option to add into the mix. Have a look at www.skyscanner.net for flights.

Venice, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow to Budapest

Thanks so much for all the input. It looks like I have a few options.

I am thinking about the Air Berlin flight since it gets in a little earlier than Ryan Air and is cheaper than Lot.

Thanks for the info on the polrail site to get tickets. I will need tickets from Berlin to Wroclaw and Wroclaw to Krakow.

Thanks again everyone

Cheryl

7. Re: Krakow to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Krakow