We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

auswitch

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
auswitch

we are looking to take the train from Krakow old town to Auswitch. Can anybody give me any tips. Is there a bus available and how much approximately does it cost. thank you

Cumbria
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: auswitch

Hi, I have been three times. Once by train from central station and twice we went with a private driver. The drivers wait outside central station and you fix a price with them. They drive you to Auschwitz and wait for you then take you the short drive to Birkenau then take you back to Krakow. They only take your money once back where you get dropped off. I would recommend going with a driver as they have brilliant knowledge and are very patient.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: auswitch

We are planning to travel to Krakow and do a day at Auschwitz. I am trying to decide between a tour and a taxi. I usually prefer to travel any way but tour groups - as you feel like a caged animal in a large circus - but with the distance and language barrier I don't think I can do it alone... Approximately how much did the taxi cost you? I know it will change with time but a rough estimate would be nice as a planning guide.

Thanks

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: auswitch

There are numerous buses that will drop you off at the gates to Auschwitz and they'll be much cheaper than taking a taxi or a tour. Do a search on this forum for buses to Auschwitz - lots of information has already been posted. Don't worry about the language problem - they're well used to tourists travelling this way.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: auswitch

I would recommend you going by bus. It's faster and more comfortable and bus stops near the Museum. There is every 30 min bus going there from main bus station. Just remeber that Museum Auschwitz&Birkenau is in town called Oświęcim (that's Polish name of Auschwitz).

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: auswitch

Thank you so much. That's really helpful :) have you any idea of a ball park figure charged by the drivers. There are 4 of us

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: auswitch

Hi.

I did the camp tour using the local bus. The bus station is situated next to the train station. The language barrier was no problem, just ask for the Auschwitz Museum. The journey cost 10 zloty (£2 depending on exchange rates) and the bus drops you at a stop outside the museum. The bus leaves the station at 09.05 and gets you to the camps at 10.15, just in time to start the 10.30 English tour. When you have purchased your bus ticket you then walk down stairs to the bus terminals, the ticket seller will tell you the bus lay-by number and it's also printed on your ticket. When the tour is over you leave the main entrance and turn left on the main road. About 30 metres along you will see the bus stop for the journey back to Krakow, this time paying the driver.

7. Re: auswitch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:35