We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty walking.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Difficulty walking.

Hi I have walking difficultys mainly going up steps or hills and I was wondering if this could be a problem if I went on a tour of the salt mines, any help much appreciated.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficulty walking.

Hi, maybe this will help you decide www.kopalnia.pl/site.php…

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficulty walking.

Hi,

The salt mine tour start with something like 65m of stairs down... And it is only half of it... You will finish the tour at -130m underground and go up by the lift. All the staires are nice and usually easy. The tour is also something like a few km longs.... So if you have mobility restriction, ai really advise you to check the salt mine for special adapted tour or togive them a call to discuss about it.

In addition, their flexibility will highly depends on the period of the year. I have done visit in Jan where we were a small group with nibidy behind, nobidy in front....min july, it was with a big group with people everywhere... .. .

Hope it helps,

J

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficulty walking.

I have arthritis in my right knee and had an accident recently that has left me with knee problems and walking any long distances cause me discomfort. I did the salt mines tour and just stayed at the back of the group so as not to hold anyone up. The stairs are solid, wooden and really easy as they are all downhill, the tour takes you through 2km of mines, but there are lots of resting places and seats to rest on. One thing to consider is that the temperature in the mines was much warmer than the outside temperature (we went in February) and as we had fleeces, coats, hats, scarves and gloves with us, we were rather warm and ended up carrying our coats. I really enjoyed the tour and almost didnt book it because of my knees, but so pleased I did,it was worth it.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difficulty walking.

Hi there,

yes, that's right, there is about 800 steps in the Salt Mine. You can always ask if you can go with a lift down. It cost from 250-350 PLN (depends on which level you want to go).

Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difficulty walking.

Also, whilst visiting Krakow, why not try a Segway tour, you can have great fun as well as seeing so much more of Krakow than you otherwise would, all without walking. My husband is 76 and loves segways. The tour can last for about three hours with an English guide and you cover in that time all of Krakow. It's wonderful. See my review.

Happy Hols.

England
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difficulty walking.

I don't have mobility issues but I am very unfit. I found the salt mine tour fine and not tiring. It is at a slow pace. One person who was disabled found it too much and got the lift back up.

7. Re: Difficulty walking.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:41