We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
n.ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
currency

what is the currency is poland?

i thought it was zloty but ive been to the post office to get some money changed and the cashier was adamant it is euro

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

For real?

Last time I was in a shop I paid in zloty. Maybe that changed since today morning... But wait... yeah, Wikipedia says it's still zloty ;)

Edited: 26 March 2012, 15:16
n.ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

thats what i thought.

gonna have to go back to the post office now ffs

belfast
Level Contributor
627 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

Yip def zloty. We were there last month,

Have a great time

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

its zloty

no idea why you are changing money before you get here though. better off using the cash machines here

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

Yes - cashpoint is the way to go. You will get a better rate of exchange and you don't have to take a load of cash with you.

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Have to agree, dont change you money before you go, we usually bring Bank of England notes which you get from the cash machine in the Airport and then change it over there, you will get a much better rate, if you dont want to carry that cash with you then use the cash machines over there you will still get a better rate than changing your money here..

G&L

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

Last Monday I got 4.85 to the pound from a kantor, on the Thursday I got 4.805 to the pound from the cash machine.

On the Friday I saw some kantors up to 4.90.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

Is that the amount they actually give you, or is it the number they display to lure you in? :)

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

so jane you got 4.5 grosch extra for every pound exchanged?

So for evey £100 you change it is an roughly extra 4.5PLN = or around 90p?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency

< Is that the amount they actually give you, or is it the number they display to lure you in? :) >

Depends where you go. Avoid interchange {Orange one} and Western Union. They quote their buy back rates; their sell rates are poor. Every where else* {to the best of my knowledge} they display the rate you get when you pick up Zloty. If in doubt you can always ask - How many zloty do I get for XX of "your" currency.

I usually use the cashpoint but my bank charges a £1 per time so for small value exchanges its probably best to use a Kantor.

But as said above - don't change at home. You get better rates in Poland. If you do bring cash {sterling} make sure it is Bank of England notes; others might be difficult to exchange