We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Epping
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Hi,

Im going to Krakow mid August. Should I book the Auschwitz tour and salt mine tour before hand? How much is it on the door? Should we get it out there? Theres only 3 of us. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
193 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

If I were you I would take a public bus over there.

At the main bus station there are plenty of options to go to either location.

When you get there you can arrange to be in a tour.

This would save you lots of money. But if you want the convenience of being picked up and having a tour guide the whole way then go ahead and book it.

But when I went in 2008 to Auscwitz and the Salt Mine the following year My friend and I took public transport and then went as part of a larger group once our tickets were purchased.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

there is no need to book several days beforehand

You should be able to book the day before without too much problem

The twice I have gone to Auschwitz I bought tickets same day

Montgomery County...
Level Contributor
7 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

I won't comment on the best way to book either excursion. we had our arrangements made in advance and they worked well.

The Auschwitz-Birkenau tour was well worth the visit. I was disappointed in the Salt mine tour.

The size and scale of this salt mine converted to tourist (and meeting /event site) site is impressive. The amount of timber used for support and decoration probably cost more than all the revenue produced from the salt mined. Chamber decorations, statues etc were interesting but hardly worth nearly two hours. The single longest portion of the visit was the long wait in the exit line and the chambers leading to the elevators. That took about 40 minutes on the day we visited.

Contrary to other visitors to the region, I would not consider this a must see attraction.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 12:58
Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

I've had bad experience pre-booking tickets so now just prefer to turn up,birkenau auschwitz is a full day to look around,crowds are horrendous first thing in the morning especially if you want an English tour guide.

The Wieliczka salt mine is worth the visit I think,great for cooling off on a hot day or something to do on a wet day.

Crowds can get real bad by lunch time,so get their first thing in the morning and get on the first English tour,I'm lucky that I know polish so I can go with the polish groups that are a little smaller.

There an awful lot of walking to do,and I really won't recommend this place if you are claustrophobic or suffer with vertigo especially at the end of the tour,you go back up in a very enclosed wooden lift.

My own personal view,I liked it and would go again

Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Agree, dont book in advance!

Auschwitz during peak season asks visitors to join a group after 10 AM I believe, check their website, and the tour costs (30 PLN per person as I recall), but MORE than well worth it.

Take public bus to Wieliczka Salt Mines, they are well worth the visit, and dont take all day, get there early and explore Jewish Krakow, Schindler's Factory, Glowny Square, etc in the afternoon and evening!

God Bless, and enjoy your time!!

Bristol, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Hi,

You dont need to book in advance. We decide to book tour in advance because i travel in group 11 of us. we used small local company bekrakow. they are good in reasonable price.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274772-d2…

Scotland
Level Contributor
389 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Have done a fair bit of homework and on a short visit I am opting to book the tour - feel Krakow Shuttle have amazing value for money and saves time running all over town when you dont know where you going - by time you add up entrance fees/bus fares etc the tour is by far the easiest option IMHO - 7 weeks and counting :)

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

Krakow shuttle is a really good idea for first time visiting

9. Re: Birkenau Auschwitz tour & Salt Mine tour krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 10:17