We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Hi, I am currently in Krakow, having returned from visiting Wroclaw and Poznan. I will post my trip reports later.

I found it difficult to negotiate staircases, carrying luggage, up and down the railway station at Poznan and then at Krakow this morning. I am a female travelling solo.

I am taking a flight from Krakow to London tomorrow morning and am wondering if it might be better to take a bus to the airport rather than the airport train.

I am staying at Westerplatte not far from the bus station. However, I do not want to climb down the stairs to the bus station with luggage. Is there another bus stop somewhere close to my hotel. I do not mind walking a bit on level ground rolling along my suitcase.

I leave early tomorrow morning so hope to hear from you soon and thank you in advance.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

The first few bus tsops are :

•Dworzec Główny Wschód *

•Politechnika *

•Nowy Kleparz *

•Grottgera *

•Plac Inwalidów *

Politechnika is at the other end of the galeria from Westerplatte.

another option would be to take tram to plac inwalidow and then catch the bus.

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Thank you for your detailed reply scottishpoet. It is very helpful.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Evelyn - I mean this to be helpful, not snarky - if you have trouble managing your current luggage on stairs, consider getting some different type of luggage and, if necesary, reduce the amount of stuff you take with you when you travel.

It may not be terribly "you" but a rucksack of some kind is generally easier to handle than a suitcase, and many now come with wheels and towing handle, so you'd not have to carry it all the time. Factor in your hand luggage too - maybe get a combo of rucksack and day pack that fasten together?

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Hi john121, after my experience in Poland, having to go up and down stairs without escalators or lifts available, I have been considering traveling lighter. However, it will not be easy to go much lighter as I don't carry much luggage considering I travel for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

I have a 21 inch wheelie and a backpack that I travel with and have traveled all over Europe with these two items (putting my handbag inside my backpack to reduce items to carry) and have managed very well over the years.

However, I have generally used the metro and then a bus from the metro station and the metro stations usually had escalators.

I think it is the lack of metro stations with escalators in Poland that caused me to struggle with carrying my 21 inch wheelie, weighing 14 kgs, up and down stairs at the railway stations which did not have escalators or lifts.

However, in a couple of months I will be traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia for 3 weeks and will probably be faced with the same problem of stairs. I will look into getting a lighter weight 21" wheelie and will try and keep the weight of my wheelie down to 25 lbs or so.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

did you make your plane? did you use the bus / tram or did you battle the stairs again?

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Hi scottishpoet, yes, I did make my plane - thanks for asking.

I seriously considered taking the bus/tram as you suggested and then thought that as I was not familiar with their location and was very familiar with the stairs having done quite a few daytrips, solo (without luggage) from Krakow, would bite the bullet and battle the stairs one last time.

However, I got lucky this time - or rather was blessed with the help of a young man who saw me struggling down the stairs and who offered to not only take my 21" wheelie down the stairs to the station but also up to Platform No.1 for me as he still had enough time to make his train from another platform. Now that is not only chivalry but true kindness and I was very grateful.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Glad you made it Evelyn

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Thank you, johnb121.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

It's possible to get to the platform the airport train departs from using only lifts and escalators.

Go to the far end of Galeria Krakowska (By Carrefour and McDonalds). Then go through the doors to the train station, but turn right to get the lift.

Go straight on after exiting the lift until your first right. Then follow along that corridor and there is an escalator. Go up the escalator and that is the platform the airport train departs from.

Hope this helps in some way. :)

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus to Krakow Airport rather than train in view of stairs

Thanks, John G. I wish I had known when I was in Krakow but am now back from my trip to Poland. However, I am sure your post will be helpful to other travelers. The escalators and lifts are such a help when one has luggage.