We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow Arrive Saturday 12th Oct - Auschwitz / Salt Mines

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Krakow Arrive Saturday 12th Oct - Auschwitz / Salt Mines

Hi All

My partner and I arrive in Krakow on Saturday night (this week!). We have 3 days (sun/mon/tues) and we want to do Auschwitz and Salt Mines.

Is it worth getting own transport to Auschwitz or booking a tour including transfers? We want to get as much as possible out of this trip to be honest.

Salt mines seem easy to get to, should we just get the bus?

We are staying at Hotel Wielopole, near Market Square. Are the bus stops easy to find / use?

Also - which day is best for Auschwitz, Sunday or Monday? (thinking bus times etc as one day will be salt mines and one day Auschwitz).

On Tuesday, we will look around the city, are there any free tours or main sights we MUST see?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow Arrive Saturday 12th Oct - Auschwitz / Salt Mines

have a look around the main square,there are some companies that organize tours/bus to Auschwitz,there is one on Florianska Street(corner of the main square),very cheap,u just have to go and ask...the office is nearly at the end of the street...if we talking about Salt mine,u can do it on your own,just take a bus over there...and once u there u just have to pay for English guide(u gonna be with a group of people).If we talking about free tour:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/7535359/Krakows-best-free-attractions.html?image=1

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow Arrive Saturday 12th Oct - Auschwitz / Salt Mines

As you have limited time on your trip, I would suggest to you that you do a cycle tour on the morning (starts at 10AM) of your first day there. I was in Krakow two weeks ago, and did the cycle tour. It costs 80PLN, lasts 4 to 4.5 hours and will give you a great introduction to Krakow and it's history, and bring you around places that you most likely would not normally visit. See the reviews on TA - tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g274772-d11…

I think I would book an organised tour to Auschwitz - be collected and dropped back to your hotel - it makes life easy. I booked the Auschwitz tour, though my hotel, about 24 hours before going, cost me 130PLN, there are some slightly cheaper - 119PLN. I was collected from my hotel at 8.45AM and returned at 3.00PM.

As regards the Salt Mines, the hotel told me not to bother with an organised tour, just make my own way out, which I did, and they were right, once again. The #304 bus will take you out to the Salt Mines - 3.40PLN each way - it goes about every 20 minutes during the weekdays, and the stop is just outside the entrance to the mines. The hotel would be able to tell you where to pick up this bus in Krakow - it's no more than a 10 minute walk from your hotel. Buy your ticket for the mines, 73PLN, and just wait for the next English speaking tour. Allow, at least four hours for this trip. Doing it that way, saved about 40PLN per person, which is not a lot really, and if you want the convenience of being delivered door to door, well then, do the organised tour.

There are free walking tours - well you tip the guide at end of the tour - which I have done in other cities and found them to be useful and informative - however, I opted for the cycle tour in Krakow, but here's two sites that I had looked at before going - http://freewalkingtour.com/ and http://www.cracowfreewalkingtour.com/ You can check out the reviews on TA I think that they both leave from St Marys church in the main square, at around much the same times in the morning and afternoons

3. Re: Krakow Arrive Saturday 12th Oct - Auschwitz / Salt Mines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:18