We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

Cork
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

Several questions in one I'm afraid.

My wife and 16 year old twin boys are thinking of spending 30th of Nov to 5th of Dec in Krakow, partly for visiting the christmas markets. We have been to several German markets over the years, but thought we would try something different this year, and take advantage of the new ryanair flights from Cork. It still seems uncertain as to when the market will open. Any information would be gratefully received.

In order to keep everyone in the family I would also value any advice on:

1. whether there are any decent model railway shops in the city.

2. if there are any steam train excursions in the area, and

3. are there any spots in the region for observing wildlife.

Many thanks.

Mark

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

I couldn't find any link to existing model railway shops in the city, but for advice you might contact the Krakow Model Railway Club:

http://www.kkmk.org.pl/

e-mail: kkmk@kkmk.org.pl

You'll just miss their model train show, which will be 8-9 December!

There is a railway museum located at Chabowka, about 2.5 hours by train from Krakow. It's doubtful they'll have anything running at this time of the year, but may be worth a visit if you have the time:

http://www.parowozy.pl/steamtrains/

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, POLAND

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

Krakow is a beautifull city anyway and think even without these excursions you want it is definately a city worth seeing.

There is alot to see and do and Krakow is steeped in History

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

The Christmas market should be open from the very beginning of December or even last week of November. Last year it started on 25th of November, this year they still haven't announced the official date but I guess it would be 23rd of November (just like in Wroclaw).

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

I found these model shops in the internet:

"Hobbyland" - 13 Stradomska Street

http://makieta.pl/33-lokomotywy-h0

"Exito" Sklep Modelarski - 1a Bieżanowska Street (entrance - Wielicka Street)

www.exito.sklep.pl/pl/c/KOLEJNICTWO-H0/29

I have no idea if those shops are any good but you can check those addresses.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

I've found that most major European cities have hobby shops..............how they bill themselves (all-inclusive, model railroad, plastic kits, etc) needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, I never found one in Krakow, but I probably found too much else to look at. (And yes, I'm a model railroader, and most of us are "closet" modelers!)

I think your visit may be outside the normal time of the year for "real railroad" activity such as steam trains and the like, and you are prob ably also visiting at the wrong time for the "Cafe Tram" (if indeed it still operates) in KRK. I must say, the Cafe Tram was one of our KRK trip highlights.

However, lots more to do during your visit, and I'm certain all of you will have a great time.

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

There are model train store in Warsaw and Poznan for certain. I couldn't find anything on Krakow, but do ask someone from the train club there (see post above). They'd know for sure.

Model railroading is not as widespread in Poland as countries to the west, probably due to the high cost compared to Polish wages. It is growing, but it seems most purchasing is done online, hence the dearth of shops.

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Cork
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

Thanks for your reply. I note your music related logo: another of our interests is live jazz. How is the city for music?

Cork
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced central apartments for 2 adults and 3 teenage children?

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
650 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

try old city apartments they have a large selection we are going in december and have booked with them

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas markets, model railways, steam trains and wildlife

My friend and her family have used Sodispar service apartments a few times and found them perfect .