We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report

Got back from Krakow in the early hours of this morning after spending an amazing four days there.

I stayed in the Hotel Kazimierz in the Kazimierz district and am so glad I chose that area - I found it much more atmospheric than round the "old town". It was within easy walking distance of everywhere.

The first day was spend exploring the old town - Rynek Glowy, the Cloth Hall, Wawel Castle, some of the churches and generally walking round and seeing the sights.

The next day was a trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau - the Auschwitz tour takes about 2 hours and is very informative (it's more of a museum-type set up). Then on to Birkenau (this lasts about an hour) which I found more moving - you could really imagine the horror there.

The next day I explored Plaszow - saw Hero Square, the remnants of the old ghetto walls and then onto Schindler's museum - this was much more than I expected. It's not just the history of Schindler and the factory, it's the history of the occupation of Krakow and the suffering of all the people there - I learnt so much from it. Then I did a bit of retail therapy in the Galeria Kazimierz (large shopping centre).

Yesterday was a general walk round Kazimierz again - the church on the rock, the new Jewish cemetery (very gothic, very moving and very poignant) and a lovely walk along the river in the Polish sunshine (the weather was great while we were there).

As for eating, I enjoyed the Pierogi (Polish dumplings), the Golonka (pork knuckle) and zapiekanki (Polish pizza) - and all very good value for money. Oh and I also enjoyed the vishnuka (I know it's spelt wrong but that's how it's pronounced) which was the cherry vodka which I had with sprite - delicious!!

In the evenings, time was spent at Plac Nowy in Kazimierz which is a great place to spend time and people watch. My favourite bar was the Singer Bar which is very atmospheric and a great place to spend an evening.

The only thing I didn't have time to do was visit the salt mines - but it's a good reason to return!!

Jak xx

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
187 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report

Nice report! Thanks. I'm going in February and can't wait.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report

Great report, Krakow is a gorgeous City.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip report

great report jakigers

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip report

Thank you for your trip report, it's always nice to read that someone spent some nice time in Poland :)

vishnuka = wiśniówka ;)

Burgas, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
260 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip report

Thank you for sharing your experiences, glad to hear you had a good trip. How was the weather? Is it cold at the minute? We're heading off in 9days and wondering what to pack!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip report

Hi great trip report I go on the 21st so am also interested in the weather. How did you book your trip to Auschwitz?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip report

The weather was good when I was there - warmer than the UK!!! We booked our trip to Auschwitz through www.escape2poland.com. We also booked the hotel and airport transfer through them - couldn't fault them one little bit.

Jak xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip report

Thanks for the info will check them out.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip report

Check the weather live via this webcamera on the main square krakow.pl/multimedialny_krakow/3222,artykul,…

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip report

Get the local bus from the bus station, takes 1 hour 20 mins that way you can spend as much time as you like without any commitments with a tour. You only pay for the bus , Auschwitz is free to enter. Check out my information http://www.auschwitz.org/

Edited: 07 November 2012, 19:39