We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a week in krakow

Ukiah, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
a week in krakow

I am an older female thinking of spending a week in Krakow. I like to just roam on my own or take a couple of half day tours to see various places. Is a week (7 nights) too long of a stay? Are there sidewalk cafes where one can sit and people watch? If I stay in the old town, are most "attractions" within walking distance (under a mile)?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a week in krakow

Hi.

If you like calm sightseeing, relaxing in cafes etc. Krakow is definitely a good place for you. There are a lot of cafes and restaurants, historical monuments and people are also wonderful. You can make day or half-day trips to Auschwitz, the Wieliczka salt mines. You can also visit Zakopane - spend there a night or two.

When are you planning to go there?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Zakopane
Zakopane
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a week in krakow

I'm absolutely with rocking_pony. Krakow repays a visit with a wealth of things to see and do. You could start with a 1hour electric buggy tour to get your bearings, then there are a selection of guided walks, carriage rides, Trabant tours of 50s/60s Krakow, river cruises, the balloon if it's flying ... Plus places to relax and enjoy the passing folks and views.

Auschwitz and Wielizcka are both tiring and the former can be emotionally draining - give yourself more than half a day for a half-day tour as you may just wat to relax after doing either ... for sure don't try to do both on the same day! At Auschwitz you will also visit by shuttle Berkenau. At the mine, the start is 380 steps down, then there are 400 more on the tour well worth visiting, but exhausting!

Zakopane could be worth a couple of nights - work on about 3 hours to get down there by coach. Not sure when you're visiting, but adjust for weather!

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Zakopane
Zakopane
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a week in krakow

It depends when you come. If it's during the summer months, Krakow is a great place for sitting outside with a coffee or beer and watching the world go by. In winter it's a bit more difficult at it tends to be bitterly cold and you won't want to spend much time outside.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a week in krakow

I Don't think a week is too much. Krakow is a beautiful city steeped in history with lot's to do and see. You could even take a 2 day trip to see Zakopane or to go see Auschwitz or the salt mines. There's also the shindler factory, the cloth hall in the main square. St Mary's church. You could take a walk down the Wisla river. There's a very nice shopping center next to the train station. Various other museums, the Jewish district . kosciuszko mound . Many pubs restaurants and cafes. Walking tours, trabant tours. There's a list for you to start. Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Zakopane
Zakopane
Wisla
Wisla
Silesia Province, Poland
Ukiah, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: a week in krakow

Thank you for your input. I hope to go in the summer, but I don't like hot weather. I have read that the temperature in the summer averages around 71 degrees is that true? That is what I would call perfect for me.

6. Re: a week in krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 16:33
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a week in krakow

I would say Krakow is more 30°C - 35°C in the peak summer, i'm sure a local will know better than i do

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a week in krakow

Temperatures are hard to predict, we can have cool summers as well as hot. But I would say that in July it's usually from low 20s to low 30s centigrade. Temps as high as 35C are of course possible and there usually are two or three days with this high temperature in July - it's not very common to be that hot for the whole summertime - if it's above 32 for more than 2-3 consecutive days we usually say it's a heat wave and people are asked to stay at homes as much as possible. This year's summer was extremely hot with a lot of heat waves and storms (it was 30C in April!!!).

You can check weather/temperature history from the previous years here: http://www.wunderground.com/ (Local Weather -> History Data -> choose Krakow and date, for example July 2011).

I would say that the best time for visit is May and first half on June or also September - children are at school then so there are not so many queues to monuments and the weather is usually very good.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
9. Re: a week in krakow

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 11:35
10. Re: a week in krakow

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 18:05