We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Krakow

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
72 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Krakow

Me and my friend are visiting Krakow for the first time for New Year.

I am looking for any advice on:

what currency to take - zlotys, euros or sterling (Scottish notes) or all three......

taxi's to and from airport - cost (our flight arrives at dinner time on New Year's eve and leaves at 11am on our return so we don't want to waste precious time with buses/trains)

New Year's Eve party in main square - free entry or ticket only?

Any great places to eat in and around the main square (or hotel is 5 minutes away from main square)

As we are arriving at dinner time on New Year's Eve should we book a restaurant for dinner that night before we get there?

Which pubs/clubs should we visit (we are party animals and like to stay out late)

and just any other useful information that would come in handy.

Thanks

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Krakow

We use zloty here, so there's no point taking euros unless you already have some you want to change. There are plenty of exchange places around town that usually give the best rate, but they may not like Scottish notes. There are also plenty of ATMs around.

There are usually lots of taxis waiting at the airport, but if you want to save a few zloty pre-book one so that it's there waiting for you. There are lots of recommendations for companies that other travellers have used on this forum already.

The NYE party in the main square is free. It's also essential that you book a table for dinner on NYE too, especially if you want to go somewhere decent. Many places do a dinner+entertainment package that includes lots of food and drink and lasts into the small hours so it's pretty good value. It's the same story for clubs/bars before midnight. I suggest you book this now as the best places will already be booked out. After midnight the bars and pubs open their doors though you probably won't get much to eat.

Check out this forum for places to go, and also inyourpocket.com and cracow-life.com.

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Krakow

Hi, I am from Scotland and have been to Krakow many times, I usually take say about £50 and exchange it In Glasgow before i leave and then exchange more when i am over in Krakow as you usually can get about 10% better rate in Krakow. No money exchange shop (KANTOR) has ever accepted Scottish notes so I always take Bank of England notes and you will be fine, Most Hotels offer a money exchange service with good rates, a few Kantors are guilty of the old decimal point con, say exchange rate is 4.50Zloty they will display 4.050 not a big difference but if you are exchanging a free £100's its a big difference.

Most taxis from the airport charge about 70Zloty to go to Krakow city centre, i always use travelrepublic.co.uk/airporttransfers/apcrit…

i did a quick check and a shuttle transfer for 2 of you would cost £33 thats for both to Krakow and the return Journey. so its not much cheaper than just getting a taxi from the airport.

New Year's Eve party in main square - free entry or ticket only. Last few years there has been a big music gig in the main square, but i think its just a firework display this year, so should not cost you anything to watch, maybe a local can confirm this.

Any great places to eat in and around the main square (or hotel is 5 minutes away from main square? There are so many places to eat in the main square you could eat out in a different one for a month. but New Years eve is very popular on the main square and usually quite formal and you have to book tickets well ahead of New Years eve, so think it will be hard to get a place on the main square, but there are many many places of the side streets where you should get in, Also The Irish Embassy club cracow-life.com/drink/pubs_cafes_details/109… usually does a night and tickets are about !00 zloty last year (£20) its over three floors so plenty or room so you should get in there ok and the food is excellent.

After the Bells and fireworks, if you love to party i would head of to the Kazimierz area (Old Jewish area) this is full off funky bohemian pubs n clubs and is where most locals go to party and most places will be open "Until last customer leaves" :). If you are into clubbing and dancing then just walk around the off streets of the main square there are clubs every where to dance the night away if that is your scene :)

Basically Krakow is a place to just walk the streets there are so many kooky little places to hang out, i have been over many many times staying out till 5-6am and on the way home still find places open that i had never seen before, you are in for a treat ladies,, oh did i mention food and drink is about 50% less than in Scotland :) you are in for a fun time i am jealous, it was my plan to get over for the New year but work put a halt to that soi arrive on the 20th Jan, but i i wlll still have fun :)

Hope this post has been of help to you.

Kevin (Glasgow)

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Krakow

The plans for NYE on the Rynek.....

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/6089

Have a great time :-)

4. Re: First visit to Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 15:35
East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
72 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Krakow

thanks for all your tips - really looking forward to experiencing hogmanay in Krakow!!!

6. Re: First visit to Krakow

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 18:05
7. Re: First visit to Krakow

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Krakow