We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

I've booked a stay for my partner and I in Krakow from 31st Jan to 5th Feb. We're staying in the Old Town in an Air BnB set-up, in a woman's spare room. She is aware that we are a female couple, and is happy with this, which is good - I was aware this may be an issue and wanted to make sure we were somewhere accommodating.

Anyway, I'm aware it will be bitterly cold, and I want to make sure we have a really great time as it was a surprise Christmas present for my partner, so it all goes on my head if it ain't!

Anywhere you'd recommend for that time of year, anywhere you would avoid?

We're taking £200 each which from the sounds of previous threads should be enough. We want to see the Salt Mines, the Cloth Market, Auschwitz, Wawel Castle, the Jewish Quarter, and sample plenty of local cuisine! We're pescetarian and on Slimming World's easy plan (I just need to lose a stone and a half) so we're going to make sure we buy ourselves plenty of healthy snacks to lug around and provisions for healthy breakfasts at the apt.

Aaanyway, any other recommendations of places to go / foods to try / etc would be warmly welcomed.

Many thanks!

Amy

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Polish traditional food is quite fat and full of carbs so watch out - for example a soup may look healthy and veggie but it could be cooked on fatty pork stock etc. When you order pierogi (the most famous Polish dish) then don't let them pour lard with pork scratchings on it and ask for yoghurt instead of fatty cream :)

Edited: 09 January 2013, 13:21
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Excellent tips - thanks rocking_pony!

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

I'm a Polish woman trying not to put on weight eating at my mom's from time to time - not easy, really, so some tricks are useful ;)

The so-called "ruskie pierogi" or "pierogi z serem" (with cottage cheese) are sometimes good for vegetarians but you always have to ask if they add pork inside or onto it - just as I wrote above. There are different recipes and some people add only fried onions.

If you like fish then you can try grilled Polish trout which is very good but only if fresh, so always ask. You can also try carp - fish that is not my favourite but it's typically Polish, esp. for Xmas (and also sander - "sandacz"). Beetroot soup (barszcz) is usually without meat and so is mushroom soup (grzybowa).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

You could try Golabki this is very nice and i don't think it's to fatty

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Mateusz, the OP said they are pescetarian and I think you can find gołąbki without pork inside only in some vegetarian bars.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Oh yes then that would make it more difficult lol, a nice healthy Peirogi Ruski then :-)

starka-restauracja.pl/eng/menu/menu_potrawy_…

In that case there are a couple of choices on this menu but it's limited

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

I would suggest doing the free walking tours, see freewalkingtour.com they do a city one which includes Wawel Castle, and a Jewish one through Kasimeirz and the WW2 ghetto, it ends at Schindler's factory where they have an excellent WW2 exhibition.

Allow a full day for Auschwitz, easy to get to, bus from the main bus station, to Oswiecim Museum, drops you off at the entrance. You can buy a guided tour there (40 PLN), but allow some time to look round yourselves afterwards.

Salt mines are easy to get to, bus or train, I got the train to Wieliczka Rynek - Kopalnia, you can look up the times here http://rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en? Only about PLN3 each way. Entry with a guided tour is about 70PLN.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

Thank you all - for some reason I stopped getting alerts about new messages! Can't wait to go :) good tips, and yes I did fancy a walking tour, sounds great!

9. Re: Krakow 31st Jan to 5th Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:19