We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I take some food

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do I take some food

Doing the Auwshitz tour next month, do I need to take a packed lunch or is food/ beverages available to buy when we get there

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I take some food

There is a cafe at Auschwitz 1 but only vending machines at Birkenau.

Depending on how you are doing the trip, there may not be time for you to go in the cafe.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
813 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I take some food

Depends on the person really, but as Phil said there is a cafe there where you can buy snacks from the cafe there. But i found i didnt have an appetite due to the kind of place it is.

For me personally i don't think it's very respectful to walk around a place like that and eat

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I take some food

Hi,

Have your breakfast and be prepared for time of sadness.

I know people who could not eat two days after visiting Auschwitz.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I take some food

I agree with Malgorzata. My friend visited Auschwitz recently and right after the visit he had to eat something as he is on a strict diet and needs to eat at fixed hours. He later told me that this was the worst meal in his life - he couldn't stop thinking about pictures and things he had seen. So I guess food won't be your problem during this trip - you will probably eat when you come back to Krakow and rest for a while. But a bottle of water or some juice will be useful.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 17:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I take some food

There's also a couple of restaurants/cafes across the road, I skipped lunch as I just wasn't hungry for same reasons as above, but once I'd finished at 4pm I had a light meal in one the restaurants across the road as the onsite cafe was closed.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 20:23
Krakow, Poland
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I take some food

Eat before you go. When there you are not really going to feel like having a picknick to be honest. If you need a drink or small snack there is something there.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I take some food

We went with Krakow tours and they did us a packed lunch but as others have said, you don't really feel that hungry on a day like that.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I take some food

I agree with the above, you won't be thinking about eating. If anything, wear your best walking shoes or boots.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I take some food

We took some snacks with us but it was only crips and chocolate and a few bottles of water....

Krakow, Poland
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I take some food

I agree too. eating is a something that you wouldnt even think about it