We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

We want to travel from Krakow to Kosice in the shortest amount of time as we can. I thought it would be a short train ride, but I cannot find any routes that are fairly direct. Is there a bus? I had no idea traveling in this part of the world would be such a challenge. Advise, please! :)

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

It's not easy. The distance is quite small, about 250 km, but there is no good connection. First of all, no trains between those two cities:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k60…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274723-i959-k49…

Maybe you could take bus from Krakow to Zakopane and then from Zakopane to Poprad in the Czech Rep. (using Strama buses http://strama.eu/ ) - there are trains/buses from Poprad to Kosice.

Some people do this some other way = from Zakopane to Lysa Polana (at the border, there are like 2 buses a day, not sure), from there to Poprad and from Poprad to Kosice... a lot of hassle, I think, but it's probably cheaper.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

Thanks for your help! I'll look into the bus option. What about renting a car in Krakow? Is it possible to rent in Krakow and return the car in Kosice?

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

Renting a car in one country and returning it in another country will be very expensive... if you find a company that will let you do that.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if it's possible to hire a private vehicle to drive us?

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

I think it's possible but hiring a driver with a car from Krakow would probably be as much expensive as renting a car and leaving it in Kosice - because this driver would need to go back to Krakow (= gas, time). You can look for companies specializing in private transportation, you will find plenty of them in the net but I think this kind of service will be very expensive.

Krakow - Zakopane - Poprad - Kosice = this is probably your best bet. You could even stay a night in Zakopane, it's a nice and interesting place.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

Thanks much! I'll work on this and see if I can get it all figured out.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

You can have a look at Kosice forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274927-i9389-k611…

They mention the price 270 EUR for private transfer

http://www.rajectravel.sk/en/transportation

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

You can buy ticket for direct bus from Krakow to Kosice here:

sale.euroticket.pl/start.php…

Price: 180 PLN or 150 PLN students

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

Thank you for the information, klint1. Do you know how far in advance I can purchase tickets? We aren't traveling until June and right now it says there are no buses available.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help traveling from Krakow to Kosice

I think you can buy ticket whenever you want before coach departure.

Buses are available but if you want see courses you have to change currency to PLN.