We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it true?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is it true?

Hi

I just read in the British Papers that the TV stations can't show adverts about ladies personal things, nightwear and beer during the pope's visit next weekend, as well as banning the sale or public consumption of alcohol, with the notable exception of the mass, where it seems red wine can be drunk in fron of millions.

This seems such over the top behaviour it is hardly credible in the 21st century.

What are other peoples opinions about this?

Jackie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it true?

Despite the fact that I like my social, sometimes over the top freedom, I disagree that what you mention is over the top. This is part of the Polish tradition and the respect for persons clergy. Toursts should learn to respect this or decide to visit at a different time in the year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it true?

Jackie,

You are being highly disrespectful and quite insulting.

Regards,

Anna

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it true?

Hi Anna

I expect you would respect the Taliban then, religious laws which restrict freedoms etc!

Jackie

Vienna,Austria
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it true?

Jackie, Princess20ny is right, you really insult some people here. And in addition you exergerate. The taliban regime has nothing in common with an alcohol ban or other restrictions. The overwhelming majority of the Polish is religious (although the opinions of polish catholics concerning this topic often differ from each other) and if you are not able to tolerate this, you shouldn't better participate on this forum any longer.

The whole discussion seems to be ridiculous and unnecessary as the pope left Krakow two weeks ago.

I do not want to be disrespectful, I just want the discussion to take an end.

Best regards

Vienna,Austria
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it true?

One question remaining: Why do you always refer to freedom?? Have you been to jail once??

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it true?

No I haven't

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it true?

Therefore, with your extreme views you embrace fascism....

I accept all people for what they are....the minute you tell others how to be....whether you like it or not...you become exactly what you accuse others of.

NORTH WEST
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is it true?

Ever heard of when in Rome? That is the trouble with the UK we bend over backwards to accommodate immigrants but they expect us to adopt their lifestyle, if we dont we are racist. I am not Catholic but I respect the Holy Father he is the Head of the Catholic Church worldwide and I would respect the wishes of the country I was in at the time of his visit. We might not all like what that country does or doesn't allow but we are mere visitors.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Is it true?

If Krakow were Krakow the way you describe then Krakow would not be Krakow at its best which is the way you see it today The reason for its richness in culture and appeal to foreigners is founded on these exact things such as greeting the Pope in the way the Krakowian's do and respecting the religion. If you cannot take these things well and/or view them as inconveniences rather than ethnic appeal then perhaps you should visit elsewhere, somewhere you will feel more at "home", such as your own back yard perhaps.

20. Re: Is it true?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 20:19