We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pope's visit

North Yorkshire...
11 posts
Save Topic
pope's visit

can anybody please clarify the alcohol ban in krakow. I have read

different reports, some say that the ban starts in krakow on 25th May and some say is doesn't start until the 27th May which one is correct? i dont see how it can start on the 27th as the pope arrives

in krakow on the 26th.

UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pope's visit

Total ban on the 27 and 27 may, "restrictions" on the 26 May . Restrictions mean no alcohol sale PM on the day,according to the local source. Public drinking, drink-fuelled behaviour, any offensive behaviour etc is unlikely to be tolerated either by the authorities or pilgrims. This is an official decree for the city of Krakow, by the city authorities.

Restrictions at the airport on Sunday 28 May mean total closure from 15Pm till at least 8.30 Pm, due to security measures. Some flights (eg easyjet from London/to London, and easyjet from Dortmund/ to Dortmund, will be operating from Katowice airport, roughly 80km from Krakow(.Details taken from the Easyjet website - www.easyjet.com - look under latest news) Check with your airlines for details, plan accordingly!

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
London
London
England, UK
Dortmund
Dortmund
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Katowice
Katowice
Silesia Province, Poland
UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pope's visit

that shoul read 27 and 28 May -total. 26 may restrictions.

North Yorkshire...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: pope's visit

thanks for your help.

so you can drink alcohol there on the 25th?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
29 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pope's visit

Does anyone know if this restriction is for Krakow only, or for other major cities as well. I will be in Warsaw on 27 & 28 May, I know the Pope will be in WAW on 26 May, but will there be restrictions for the whole weekend?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
London
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pope's visit

Just to add to this re The Pope's visit, my Polish girlfriend was reading a website yesterday that said the TV networks have decided to remove all adverts for anything slightly sensitive from ad breaks such as Tampons, alcohol, even shampoo ads that feature women in the shower!

She agreed how ridiculous it is and commented that The Pope is unlikely to come to Poland to sit and watch TV or sit in the square and drink a beer.

I Love the Poles but they seem to vastly over compensate for things in order to be seen to be good Catholics. Perhaps its because I'm not Catholic and don't understand how important The Pope's visit is but it all seems a bit unnecessary to me!

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pope's visit

Hi

This is how the catholics behaved in 1950's England, they gave themselves totally up to the will of the pope and his cohorts. This is why the child molesting priests and vicious nuns and brothers were able to carry on without criticism and accountability for so long.

I am not exagerating, the foolishness of this kind of adulation is dangerous, we have seen it recently over and over again in our own countries courts where their victims are at last telling the truth about what some members of the catholic clergy did to them.

I was beaten at the age of 3 by a nun, and had I not had a gran who went up to the nursery school and told her what would happen if she touched me again then this woman would have carried on, it is my belief she did carry on but with other targets.

The banning of certain adverts, beer etc because of this visit, sounds more like Afghanistan than Europe. The TV censorship seems like an affront to free speech, and surely membership of the EU ensures that.

Welcome the pope by all means but remember he is just a man like all the rest of us no better or worse.

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Europe
Europe
World
Afghanistan
Afghanistan
115 Reviews
Paris, France
krakow
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: pope's visit

I could not agree with you more Jackie!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pope's visit

Have to admit I am surprised at the steps they are taking to "clean up" Krakow for the Pope's visit. I thought it was a grand and normal and lovely city anyway but obviously not right for a Pope! Alcohol and tv bans of ads seem way way over the top in any country today. Even when we had a visit in Ireland from the Pope back in 1979 I think nothing like this was done thankfully. Wonder if the Pope revisits say in 10 years will things be very different? I guess most of the Polish people must approve of these steps?

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
w62
London
Level Contributor
918 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pope's visit

I agree with you too Jackie. If this was happened in a secular society in the name of any other religion all hell would break loose!

krakow, poland
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: pope's visit

Everywhere that the Pope will visit has an alcholhol ban. No selling of alchohol. Krakow is banned from May 26-28th.

On the radio today they were discussing the fact that certainly the Pope would be having wine with his meals, and a Warsaw policeman said the law was the law, and if he caught him, he would give him a 100 zloty mandate (fine)!

If you want a different type of tour during the Pope's visit, go to Tesco and Carrefour and other stores and look how they cover/lock their alchohol sections!

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland