We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polish Language

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Polish Language

I am from the US and will be visiting Poland (Krakow) for the first time in a few months. I know almost no Polish now. i will have some time to study some basics, but will not be anything approaching fluent when I arrive.

If I stay in and around Krakow for the three days I will be there, will my lack of the Polish language be a big problem for me?

Would it be worth it for me to buy one of those hand-held mechanical English to Polilsh translators?

(A fairly effective one would cost $150.00 $400.00, and I'd prefer to put that money into enjoying Krakow)

I plan to learn some basic words and phrases, but am concerned that may not be enough for me to enjoy the trip as much as I would like to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polish Language

As a tourist in the old town and in kazimierz you will be fine with english. A translator would be a waste of money

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polish Language

Don't worry, most of the young Krakow community speak English very well. They will appreciate you trying though.

I downloaded a cool free app for my windows phone last week that converts spoken English (it understands my Scottish too!) into Polish audio and text. I'm not sure how much I'll use it but it's great fun testing it.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polish Language

Translators are not necessary, you will manage perfectly well with English in every Polish city. Knowledge of Polish is crucial only when somebody goes to a completely non-touristy rural areas of Poland and wants to rent accommodation on a farm etc.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polish Language

Hi,

It is not a essential to have translator or to learn some words and phrases in Polish.

The main problem is to understand an answer in Polish

that's why is much better to ask in English.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Edited: 21 March 2013, 09:46
Fremont, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Polish Language

Thanks to all for your repllies. I feel very much assured.

I have found a site online that will help me learn some basid words/phrases such as please, thank you, how much, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

6. Re: Polish Language

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 05:16