We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Auschwitz Tour

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Topic
Help with Auschwitz Tour

I would like to visit Krakow and to see some of the historical places of interest. The main purpose of this trip is to visit auschwitz. There seems to be loads of different tour operators offering the same thing. Can anyone recommend the best way to visit the camps,. Can you go on your own or is it best to go with a tour operator. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Krakow Free Walkative Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Cruising Krakow Bike & Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

Get a bus or minibus before 08:30 from the main bus station in Krakow (big buses hourly, minibuses more frequently) get off at the museum. Enter before 10:00 and joining a guided tour is not mandatory, otherwise between 10:00 and 15:00 it's 25zl for a Polish tour, 40zl for other languages. Entry itself is free. Tour operators may offer a central or hotel pick up, and may show the video en route, but you're tied to their times. Use public transport for maximum flexibility.

See also tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274772-i961-k64…

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

That's great. Thanks so much for the quick reply. Now know the best way to go

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

Beware it's not so easy as that sounds.

And not necessarily the best way to visit, this is surely a matter of opinion.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 08:21
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

A good company called www.krakowtours.co.uk do great tours, not only to Auschfitz

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

Mateusz, the linked thread discusses - or at least refers to - Krakow Tours and Krakow Shuttle. Tne OP in that case had mentioned that one was more expensive than the other, and I explained the difference ... and you'll see what happened if you read the thread.

Phil - do you and I have a problem? "Best" is always a matter of opinion, and for many visitors some flexibility and avoiding the "tour premium" achieved by using public transport makes my suggestion "best". I entirely accept that for other people the straightforward "tour" option is "best" for convenience, but the price is higher and the flexibility is lost. Neither is 100% "best"; neither dies either require or justify a "beware", as neither is in any way complicated or risky.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow Tours
Krakow Tours
810 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Krakow Shuttle -  Tours
Krakow Shuttle - Tours
1,050 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

there are many ways to "do auschwitz"

public transport as mentionde above, or through an organised tours

some of those organised tours get you there before 10 so you can wander around on your own if you prefer. Others organise the guided tour for you

Some people want lots of time to reflect, others want an opportunity to hear from a guide so they do not miss anything important

What is "best" is your preference.

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

go from bus station very cheap think it is bus no 22 about 20zl return but do not wait for the last bus back approx 5pm always a big queue but they do not leave anyone.ps get there before 10 am to avoid queues and guided tours.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

Thanks again for all advice. I find going independently more appealing than an organised tour. Will make sure we get there before 10.00am. Would prefer to have time for reflection rather than an organised tour. All advice appreciated.

9. Re: Help with Auschwitz Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17