We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Many people ask about official international ticket fares for overnight trains. I have just got an email from the Intercity help centre and here is the list for the most popular routes.

These are official prices for tickets bought at a train station in Poland (without any discounts, basic fare):

Krakow - Vienna

6-person compartment - 81,40 EUR

4-person compartment - 88 EUR

3-person compartment - 94 EUR

2-person compartment - 107 EUR

1-person compartment - 196,40 EUR

Krakow - Budapest

6-person compartment - 92,20 EUR

4-person and 3-person compartment - 96,80 EUR

2-person compartment - 103,80 EUR

1-person compartment - 173 EUR

Krakow - Prague

sitting place - 71,10 EUR

6-person compartment - 77 EUR

4-person and 3-person compartment - 81,60 EUR

2-person compartment - 88,60 EUR

1-person compartment - 150,40 EUR

SparNight discount (amount of tickets available in the discount is limited, tickets can be bought max 3 days before the departure):

Krakow - Vienna

6-person compartment - from 39 EUR

4-person compartment - from 49 EUR

3-person compartment - from 59 EUR

2-person compartment - from 69 EUR

1-person compartment - from 129 EUR

Krakow - Budapest

6-person compartment - from 39 EUR

4-person compartment - from 43 EUR

3-person compartment - from 45 EUR

2-person compartment - from 49 EUR

1-person compartment - from 99 EUR

Krakow - Prague

sitting place - from 19 EUR

6-person compartment - from 29 EUR

4-person compartment - from 34 EUR

3-person compartment - from 39 EUR

2-person compartment - from 44 EUR

1-person compartment - from 69 EUR

Prices for 1 person - ticket with seat/bed reservation included.

In Poland you should pay in zloty (PLN) so EUR is converted to PLN according to the recent exchange rate (this is why prices in PLN may fluctuate). You cannot pay in Euro at a station.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Train schedules can be checked here: http://intercity.pl/en/

Ticket sale for international connections start 60 days in advance (the best time to 'catch' the SparNight discount).

It's impossible to buy the above mentioned tickets online through the official website so there are only two ways of obtaining them:

1. You can go to a train station in Poland (practically in any big city) and buy them directly from the international ticket office.

2. If you want to buy tickets in advance then you can use a reliable agent, like Polrail (which is recommended by TA users) and have tickets delivered to your home or hotel.

!!! There is no guarantee that tickets will be available if you come to a station just a few days before the departure !!!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

This is of great help! Thank you for posting all this information in one place!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Do you know if the trains are equipped with WIFI? I tried looking at the site and didn't see it mentioned so assuming they are not.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

No, I think they don't offer wi-fi (I may be wrong but I doubt that).

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

RegioExpress-category trains, operated by Przewozy Regionalne, are currently the only trains in Poland with Wifi. You will find these trains only on the routes Szczecin-Poznan-Warsaw, and Warsaw-Katowice. (There are also RegioExpress trains operating Wroclaw-Dresden, but these are operated with German equipment and don't ave Wifi.)

No international trains have Wifi.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Phoenix
Level Contributor
105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Thank you! I should be sleeping on an overnight train anyway! Ha!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Dear Jeffrey -

Hello! I am traveling with my family, my husband and his two sons, on July 6, 2013 from Warsaw to Krakow.... there are two options available to take either the Express Inter City or the TLK... which one do you suggest? The prices are fairly high on the Express.. but if you think there is a high differential between trains, we would consider the Express Inter City. My biggest concern is our train from Krakow to Prague. I have seen a lot of complaints from travelers that have been vandalized on this train... what do you suggest? What type of cabin - sleeper should we buy? and most important does you company sell international train tickets?

All your help and assistance is extremely appreciated!

Regards,

Erika

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Unless it is a TLK train taking over 5 hours and stopping at all stations along the route, the difference is not that much. You may get an older type of train which will be more crowded and you will certainly not get a complimentary snack and coffee.

I have been reading some complaints in the past about not being able to sleep on that overnight Krakow-Prague train but have never heard of people being 'vandalized'. Can you give us a link to those reports?

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

On the Warsaw-Krakow route, TLK trains are just fine. Most of them travel direct, and take about 3 hours, although there are a few via Radom that take about 5 hours, so you should avoid these!

With regard to the night train to Prague, as Ozzlem wrote, where are these reports? We always recommend booking a couchette or sleeper, where you can lock the door and get a good night's sleep. If you decide to go for the "cheap seats", it is a good idea to keep an eye on your valuables, but that's good advice on a night train anywhere.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow - Prague/Budapest/Vienna official train ticket prices

Thank you both for your advice. I am sorry it took me so long to reply but I was traveling.

For your convenience, I have attached a few links with some of the stories like Gwan who got robbed on the Prague-Krakow overnight train. fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-krako…

Here is another story of a female being robed, guide books telling travelers to be extra cautious, and people who reported being gassed and robbed on the train. …blogspot.mx/2009/06/prague-krakow-terror-on…

I am not trying to be paranoid but I always do my research and like anyone, just want my family to be safe.

You can do a google search and find all sorts of links like the ones I posted.

Regards,

Erika