We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend review and some tips!

Teesside
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend review and some tips!

Hi All,

I always read all reviews and ask questions before I go anywhere, so I thought I would post a review and some tips of our weekend for anyone travelling. Firstly, what an amazing place, we loved it. Flew Jet2 com, no problems at all and just did hand baggage, tough call for a girl who likes her shoes and make up, but I coped. We got a taxi from the airport to the Jewish Quarter, where we were staying and although maybe more expensive than a train, it was so convenient. We booked online with pablo-taxi.com, met us at the airport, immaculate car, polite driver and 70 zlt, about £15. We then used the same company for our return journey and a trip to Auschwitz and would highly recommend them, so reliable.

Accommodation - We stayed in the Hotel Columbus in the Jewish Quarter and we loved it, again, staff fanatastic, immaculately clean really handy for the district (which we loved) and about 10 minutes walk from the Old Town. Free wi fi, a little tempremental, but not a major problem and breakfast was lovely.

Food - We ate in 2 lovely restaurants recommended by the hotel and got a free glass of wine in each for mentioning the hotel. Trevino and Szara, the food was fantastic, lots of polish people in there and suberb value. We also had a meal in the Italian Restaurant in the old town facing the back of the cloth hall, went downstairs to go the toilet and you were transported to Morocco, cushions and pipes!

Drinks - Really cheap everywhere, all flavoured vodka and cocktails in most places and of course beer and lager. We particularly liked the oldest bar in the Jewish Quarter, Alchemia, very old world and a great vibe. It is on a row of lots of bars, lovely cocktail bar along there, the guys love showing off making the cocktails and all fresh juices, and a live band when we were in. We found lots of Polish people were out, worried about it being lots of groups of English, but not and the ones that were were very well behaved.

Trips - we did 2 free walking tours, we used freewalkingtour.com you just turn up, 10am for the old town and 11am for the Jewish Quarter, meeting at St Mary's Church, Main Market square. They work on tips and therefore need to be good and believe me they were, Pawwel for the old town and Alizia for the Jewish Quarter, both amazing English, very knowledgeable and lovely people. You will find places, you would never find on your own, or walk past and not know what they are, fantastic way to see the city and both last about 2 hours, 30 minutes. We also did Auschwitz, which everyone should have to do, lest we ever forget. Amazing tragic place, the guide was passionate and knowledge and has every respect for the dignity with which he spoke.

Tips - we left museums until the monday when they are free, don't unless you intend to go early, they only have so many free tickets and once they have gone that is it, they will not let anyone in, so despite going to Schindler's factory for 1.30 at the end of the walking tour, we were unable to get in.

Jewish quarter has a fabulous vibe about it, great place on an evening.

Go to Krakow, beautiful city, we loved it.

I am happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Columbus
Hotel Columbus
1,408 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Restaurant Szara
Restaurant Szara
1,198 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Alchemia
Alchemia
655 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Main Market Square
Main Market Square
20,380 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Gruba Bula
££ - £££, American, Bar, Fast food
GOGO BURGER
£, American, Fast food, International
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

Thank you JAT, those are helpful tips! I am planning to go for 3 nights in Nov, do you think this is enough time to see everything? Also, was Hotel Columbus reasonably priced and most importantly, was it quiet? (I'm not looking for a party hotel full of stag and hen dos - my worst nightmare, lol!)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Columbus
Hotel Columbus
1,408 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

nice review....i second your opinion on alchemia...love sitting outside watching the street scene there..my favorite place in kazimierz.....and the hotel columbus....but i wasnt impressed with the breakfast as much as you...thanks for your remarks....always nice to hear the brits were well behaved on their holiday...lol

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

Great review, thank you! We will be arriving after 7.00 at night and we are staying not far from the main square. Safe to walk to at night? Plenty to see at night too? We are not into bars or clubs, just a nice place for dinner and people watching. Any ideas happily accepted!

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

yes its safe to walk arounbd the main square in the evening

not sure there is plenty to see at night, but there are plenty of places on the main square you can sit, have dinner and people watch

Scotland
Level Contributor
298 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

Enjoyed reading your review. We are going tomorrow and are really looking forward to experiencing Krakow. Like you, we are also staying in Hotel Columbus.Thank you for sharing your weekend with TA readers.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Hotel Columbus
Hotel Columbus
1,408 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

I am travelling to Krakow on the 29th of May with my son we are going for 6days with just backpack ,do we need a set of posh cloths or is it laid back we are travelling on so are on a budhet and limited as to what cloths we take ,also what do you think we would need per day ie food and drink as we are accomadation only and has anyone used the train station and is it easy to find out information ??? thanks Paaauline

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

Interesting read, thanks for posting some useful tips which should come in handy for our 5 day visit to Krakow next month.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
6 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

Hi,

I believe I read in your review that you also used you taxi for your trip to Auschwitz? If so, do you mind letting me know an approximate cost? Roundtrip from Krakow. Cheers and many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
9. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 20:35
10. Re: Weekend review and some tips!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:17