We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

strange tradition in krakow

doncaster england
Level Contributor
334 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
strange tradition in krakow

when walking over the river at kazimierz i noticed hundreds of padlocks fastened to the side off the footbridge found out later that they are love padlocks a custom of engraving love ones names on padlocks securing it and dropping the keys into the river , follow this link en.wilkipedia.org/wiki/love padlocks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: strange tradition in krakow

Its a great idea, a friend of mine at work told me about it, he is from Bydgoszcz and they do that there.

I can only imagine the H&S uproar there would be if you tried that over here.

Might have to do that when I next go back to Krakow.

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: strange tradition in krakow

H&S are having a nightmare with the locks over the Wisla as people are falling out with their boyfriend / girlfriend and cutting great sections of the fencing out to get the locks back!

There's a more impressive lock bridge near the John Lennon wall in Prague - no room for any more locks on it!

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: strange tradition in krakow

Well, those traditions are everywhere, here in Wroclaw people also fasten padlocks - on one of the most beautiful bridges: bi.gazeta.pl/im/68/fd/b9/z12189032Q.jpg

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: strange tradition in krakow

this is very popular in Paris too.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: strange tradition in krakow

Rocking Pony said <<<Well, those traditions are everywhere,>>>

ditto for Cinque Terre and Florence in Italy

Hampshire
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: strange tradition in krakow

We added a lock last year - we were sensible though and kept the key just in case :0)

7. Re: strange tradition in krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 06:20