We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

We are a young couple staying for 5 nights in spatz hotel arriving on the 27th July. I have read a number of the forum posts but still have some questions I hope you can help me with.

1. We are planning on taking a trip to Auschwitz and get there using public transport as we want to spend more time there than the tours seem to allow.

- There seems to be conflicting information regarding the earliest bus to Auschwitz, is anyone able to confirm what time the earliest but leaves?

- Once at Auschwitz can you book a particular time slot for a tour or do you have to take the next available? The plan is to spend some time in camp 1 before the 10m cut off then take the tour and then go to camp 2 take the tour and then spend some time there. If you have been on the tour can you re-enter camp 1 before 3pm or do you then have to wait?

2.Can anyone recommend an exchange Kantor in the Kazimierz area? I've tried using google maps to look for ones already recommended but it comes up with a number of different options.

3. What are the general dress codes around Krakow? Am I rite in thinking I wont be allowed into churches in shorts? Does this also apply to restaurants?

4. Is it easier to get a bus or a train from the airport? Are the tickets for a single trip or can you buy one ticket that can be used across the public transport network for the length of the stay?

5. It is my girlfriends birthday while we are there, can anyone recommend a good restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere for dinner, whilst we both want a really nice meal we don't want it to be to formal.

Thanks

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

First bus is about 07:00. Big buses then mix with minibuses, which are more frequent - every 20 minutes or sooner if full.

Get there before 10:00 and the tour is not mandatory. But first English tour is 10:30 so you could do some viewiing, return to the museum for the tour of Auschwitz 1, then take the shuttle to Birkenau and return at your leisure (and yes, you re-enter Auschwitz and can stay till closing time. http://1904loghouse.com/about/

As to dress code, obviously some respect is expected in churches - my ubcle tells the sotry of the large American lady in a baby blue "baby-gro" squattng for a photo where the manger was supposed to have been in Bethlehem, and I've seen pics of giggling kids in the ovens!) so taste really should over-rule comfort if youre planning to visit many churches. A lady could take a scarf to wrap over shorts?

The buses run between Krakow airport and city 24/7, the trains from brrakfast till dinner time - see 1904loghouse.com/about-visiting-john-and-raj…

Last train from the A/P is 22;24

Krakow has a large student and visitor population - you should fit in wherever you go

Stenhousemuir...
Level Contributor
593 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

There's a kantor just along the street from your hotel - opposite the Temple Synagogue. Usually a good rate of exchange. You can see it on google earth, between a convenience store and a clothes shop - sorry can't remember the no. at the moment.

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

Restaurant wise have a look at my recent reviews, only been back a couple of weeks so they are all current.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

3. What are the general dress codes around Krakow? Am I rite in thinking I wont be allowed into churches in shorts? Does this also apply to restaurants?

Dress code is fairly informal. I do not think many restaurants would prevent you eating for wearing shorts.

4. Is it easier to get a bus or a train from the airport? Are the tickets for a single trip or can you buy one ticket that can be used across the public transport network for the length of the stay?

Both are easy, the service bus is more frequent and cheaper but takes a little longer.

You can buy single trip tickets and you can buy time tickets. i am not sure if there is a "5 day", i think there is a 72 hours and there are 24 hour tickets. They are used on the buses and trams but not on trains.

5. It is my girlfriends birthday while we are there, can anyone recommend a good restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere for dinner, whilst we both want a really nice meal we don't want it to be too formal.

Krakow has a number of good restaurants with a relaxed atmosphere, especially in the good weather when you can sit outside. Personally I would recommend Pimiento on Stolarska, or Da Pietro on the square

Pimiento is an Argentinian steakhouse, Da Pietro is an italian.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

check this link on bus ticket availability and prices

…krakow.pl/pl/…

6. Re: General Questions Krakow/Auschwitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:17