We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Topic
Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

Hi, I'm visiting Krakow in September (4 days) but I'm going to be accompanied by someone who does not speak English -only Spanish- therefore I feel we'll have to miss some of the attractions -those that heavily rely on listening to some guide- because as far as I can see Spanish doesn't seem to be included in many tourist attractions in Poland. I know we could just do an English tour and have me translating, but honestly, that wouldn't work at the end.

So, ¿which attractions/places would you recommend for those 4 days in which we could make the visit on our own?. I'm obviously not asking for those like the Cloth Hall, the historic district, or any of the many churches... I know we can visit those on our own!

Thanks

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

How is your spanish? Freewalkingtour.com has a Spanish tour

freewalkingtour.com/…112.html

Wawel castle can be explored on your own, as can Schindlers factory

The saltmine at Wieliczka has 2 spanish tours in the Summner

From June to September at 11:20 am, 4:20 pm

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

Auschwitz also has Spanish tours

May-September: 10.30 a.m., 12.00, 1.30 p.m. (Italian) / 10.30 a.m., 12.30 p.m., 2.30 p.m. (Spanish)

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

I'm sorry, but if you need a guided tour to appreciate what you see, you're not doing your research. Not knowing Polish simply means you need to put in a little expense and more effort before you get here, so you know what you;re going to be seeing and have a guide book and maybe more info downloaded to your tablet, phone or whatever.

That research will also suggest the places where your time will be best spent - no point going to a modern art museum if you hate modern art, of going paintballing when you're more of a beer on the rynek sort of person.

As scottishpoet has said, there are some "attractions" which offer Spanish tours. More will have Spanish leaflets or guidebooks to take or buy on site. But a LOT of Krakow does not need even that. Just walking the Old Town and Wawel, stopping for a coffee, beer, or to check out anything that interests you is a wondeful way to spend your time. You don't need to know exactly what something is, or it's history, to appreciate it ... information adds, but absence of it need not detract .. and anyway that's were your research and downloads come in.

Lecture over. Chill, and Krakow will chill with you.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 11:49
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

My dear johnb121: who says I am not doing my research????

My friend I've been travelling for many years, I got some 'experience' on this! I love to mingle with the locals and walk their streets while observing their lives, also visiting their treasures and of course I read many websites and guides before visiting a place, planning one's routes, trying to do things as locals would do, via public transportation if possible, eating where they do... but this does not rule out the fact that the odd tour guided visit here and there brings you so much more, especially if you're lucky enough to encounter a passionate and knowledgeable guide. No matter how much you read, there are plenty of small details, stories and anecdotes that you'll miss if you're not accompanied by a local. Of course, when I say "tour guide" I don't mean those unprofessional staff of some attractions that repeat as parrots a previously learnt text.

I disagree a bit with you, the absence of information does indeed detract the potential of the experience and this information cannot (should not) be limited to what you can find in books and guides.

I myself go by around the world communicating in English so I don't tend to have much trouble but so it happens that this time I am accompanied by someone who does not speak it so in order to get out the most of our trip I am looking to take her to places where she can be 'in-the-loop' too. What's the point of going to tour with someone and not understanding a word of what's being said? Furthermore, my experience tells me that, aside from one's formal research, using forums like TA where locals and visitors give you their 'plain and honest' views do help to get a better picture and to plan better. Hence the reason I was asking the above.

Ah, I am not sure what you meant with 'rynek' but, boy, it didn't sound as a good thing, I hope you didn't mean "redneck" or else I'll feel deeply insulted LOL! :)

Warmest regards anyhow.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

@scottishpoet

Yep, already had those ones in my list. Thanks anyway.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

A rynek is the main (market) square in any Polish town or city

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

ahhh, ok :)))) dobrze jest wiedzieć!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

One place of interest that I don't think gets enough exposure is the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow, just a short tram ride from the town center. Their website is at http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/indexen.php. It has the largest collection of aircraft I've come across. Mainly military but also civil. The website has a virtual tour so you can "try before you buy". Only relevant if you have an interest in aircraft but if you do you won't want to leave.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

Thanks @Derekcgb, I had had an eye on it too... I think it'll be in my list!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which attractions/places to visit on our own?

Across the street from Wawel Castle against the wall of a church building is a stark tall black cross remembering those of Poland's officer corps who were killed and buried in a mass grave in Katyn forest and other places for refusing to be "re-educated" by Russia. Give them a moments thought.