We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash machines

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Cash machines

Are cash machines readily available? Is this the easiest way of getting polish currency or am i better to take sterling and get it changed out there? Have changed some Polish currency to get me started.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash machines

cash machines are readily available

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,347 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash machines

Hi @Marc F, I've been advised by several people here to change money into zlotys at 'kantons' -some sort of exchange bureaus readily available across major cities- once in Poland as it seems the exchange rate is quite better than those offered at the banks. I'm going there shortly and that's what'll do.

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash machines

You can exchange your cash at 'Kantors' you will get a much better exchange rate than back in the UK or NI you will get about 4.6 Zloty in the UK, go to just about any Kantor and today you will get 4.9 so thats a big difference if you are changing say £200, other point take Bank of England notes not NI or Scottish notes most Kantors will not touch them, also avoid any money exchange place with a bright Yellow\Orange shop front they are notorious in theses forums and they will rip you off big time. I use one of these branches when i am over there as they always seem to offer the highest rate available http://www.kantor.krakow.pl/

Kevin (Glasgow)

Poland
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash machines

You can use kantors/exchange offices or ATMs, it really depends on your bank's/card's commission that they charge. There are plenty ATMs in Krakow and in every city and town in Poland so availability is not a problem.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash machines

I used my Barclays UK card at an Deutsche Bank ATM (DB as recommended by Barclays, because no transaction fee) and the exchange rate ended up as 4.45, whereas kantors wd give you 4.80 (In Warsaw, Gdansk, Poznan 1-2 weeks ago). You see that with an ATM in Poland you get even less than you get changing in the UK!

In fact I only used that card once as a Deutsche Bank staff member had told me just before I left for Poland to take euros (in my case) and change at kantors because you get a much better rate that way and it's very clear you do

We also confirmed that paying by credit-card in zloty not euros worked out cheaper as our bank's conversion was better (1500 zloty for a rental wd have been about 367 euros compared with the 355 our bank charged). However the Spanish bank only takes 1.5% for non-euro transactions, I think UK banks tend to charge more for non-sterling in which case maybe being charged in sterling is better. You'd need to find out your own bank's charges.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash machines

Thanks for the replies. Been very helpful.

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
309 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash machines

If you do use an ATM try to use the ones belonging to Polish banks on the main square like Bank Polski or Bank Zachodni, they give the best rate and it will show you what you will actually get on the screen before you decide to commit to the transaction, if you are not happy with the rate you can cancel the transaction. It's best to withdraw 500zl at a time about £100.

In April 500zl cost me about £106 at bank Polski which I thought was reasonable.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash machines

The ATM will ask if you want to be charged in GBP or Zloty. You will be charged less in transaction fees if you choose Zloty so go for that.

Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash machines

Are there any cash machines in the airport. We are going tomorrow and have not got any zloty yet. It is very difficult to source zloty in rep of Ireland.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash machines

yes there are at least 2 cash machines in the airport