We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

We are thinking of taking the Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow because their schedule fits ours, and honestly my wife doesn't sleep well on the night trains. Does anyone have experience with the bus? Seven hours is long but the night train seems longer because we arrive tired and wind up losing the day we depart (worrying about catching the train) and the day we arrive because we are tired. I've looked for reviews on the Budapest forum but not many people have taken the bus, We know we may have to take train if weather turns bad but we are trying to figure out if the bus is a viable alternative. Thanks

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

I don't know about the bus but there is also a day train Budapest - Krakow with one change in Katowice, whole travel takes around 10 hrs (from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm). It may be longer than bus travel but at least you can walk around and stretch your legs, and go to a bathroom whenever you like.

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

Hi Dakota,is it the volanbusz service you're looking at from nepliget?,used this coach on the 11th sept. The service is good,we had a couple of stops for the loo ( have a couple of euros handy as most stopping places seem to take euros for the loo fee) the drive through Slovakia was beautiful.

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

Hi Dakota,is it the volanbusz service you're looking at from nepliget?,used this coach on the 11th sept. The service is good,we had a couple of stops for the loo ( have a couple of euros handy as most stopping places seem to take euros for the loo fee) the drive through Slovakia was beautiful.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

I think the bus terminal in Budapest is nepliget. The Bus I'm seeing is Eurolines which travels twice a week between Budapest and Krakow. Apparently this line operates in the UK and number of other EU countries and internationally seems to have a good reputation. Having been on the roads do do you think they will be safe enough in early December? II don't mean storms (We can't plan on those) but normal roads. I have been led to believe that the roads are so bad that it may not be safe. I drive for nearly seven hours frequently (St. Louis to Chicago) so the length of the trip doesn't bother us. What I like about it, is that it is a a 6:30 departure from Budapest with a 1:30 arrival at Krakow (if all goes as planned. We lose a most of a travel day in Budapest but still have late afternoon in Krakow and a good night's rest in a hotel bed.

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

Yes it says eurolines ,but they are run separately. The station is by the metro station in neplegit and can be accessed from it which is handy. The trams and metro start early enough to get there in plenty of time. We left from stand two but best to check. The roads were fine,no need to worry. We booked early on-line and it only cost about £13 each.there was no charge for our luggage,one large and one small bag each. We chose the coach as the times were perfect for us.(also used coach from Prague to Budapest which again was ideal) the coach station in Krakow is by the railway station and ideal for either a taxi or tram,or walk to your hotel. By arriving early afternoon we had time to get to our hotel,get changed etc and get into town on our first night.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

Excellent! Thank you. I think that this is a good alternative thread for those who have already taken the night train or just want alternatives. Since it is early December travel I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,084 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

If it takes the direct route through Banská Bystrica the roads can be serpentine but safe - it is one of the main routes up to Poland and they keep it clear as it leads to one of Slovakia's main ski resorts (Donovaly). If it is snowing then there may be extra traffic going there.

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

Serpentine,i like that :) not sure about the names you mention but it was very mountainous in places and i did notice ski-lift signs ,the scenery was stunning,there are some road works,widening? going on in places but this didn't hold us up. I think we were about 10-15 mins behind schedule on arrival in Krakow but this was down to the volume of traffic approaching the city.

9. Re: Euroline bus from Budapest to Krakow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:18