We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets

Hi , going to Krakow on 4th Dec,never been to Poland so any info on best things to do and CHRISTMAS MARKETS BE GREAT. Also best way to get down town from airport..Thanks.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets

The Christmas Market last year ran from 27th November to 8th January so chances are this year it will already be on by the time you arrive. Its quite busy at weekends with a stage with folklore groups and so on appearing but it does make things very festive.

The trip from the airport to town has been covered in lots of previous posts so have a sift through and I am sure you will find answers to your questions.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas markets

Hi Ro, we went first week of Dec last year specifically for the Christmas Markets. It was great atmosphere, snow flakes falling, rooting around the stalls and whilst things for sale were pretty predictable, it was magical and fun - well worth a visit. We did taxi both ways that time but on a visit more recently, we got the 192 bus to the airport for less than a euro. Goes from outside rail station I think - check with tourist office who were very helpful and they will point out on map the route it takes. Taxi was about 50/60 zloty I believe. Besides the usual day trips, you will love wandering around the city (very walker friendly) and stopping off for a drink at the many bars (prices about a quarter of what its here!)

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets

Thank you for your replies, Limericklady does that bus you mentioned go from just outside the airport and do you know if it goes to the old town? Really looking forward to the trip

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets

It goes from just outside the airport to the rail station. The rail station quite close to the Main Square, about a 10 minute walk or so. What hotel are you staying in? Sometimes you can prebook a taxi through the hotel and have it waiting for you when you arrive for approx. 60 zloty which is roughly 15 euro? Theres a new train service too I read about on this forum.

Just dug this out - may be of help!

www.lotnisko-balice.pl/eng/jak_dojechac.asp

Krakow is lovely, so genuinely welcoming and friendly - have a great time!

Ireland
Level Contributor
474 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas markets

Staying at the Wyspianski Hotel. Do you know it? Thanks again for your very helpful info, will check out that web site. My Mum who is 76 will be with us so I want it all to go as smoothly as possible for her, but in saying that she has more energy than I do..........

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas markets

Hi Ro I can't place that hotel but I checked it on my map and its a very good location. Its not far from where we stayed and would be walking distance to nearly if not everything. You are actually very close to both bus and train station - just north of your hotel at a guess 15 minute walk. A taxi straight to the hotel from the airport is about 50 zloty or so (roughly divide by 4 to get euros I think!). Also the bus/train from the airport leaves you very close so a short taxi ride (or even walk if up to it) to your hotel should cost hardly anything. Trams and buses I found a wee bit confusing! Your Mam will love it all! Its so welcoming, friendly, easy to get around. Tourist Office in Main Square in Old Tower building very good and also one very close to Rail Station. Plenty of maps and assistance if you need it. You can't go wrong visiting Krakow - its got lots for everyone to interest them. We got a bit of good weather, bit of snow and rained heavily our last day so expect anything just like Ireland! Anything else you are wondering about just ask!

7. Re: Christmas markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 21:20