We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow in February

Which Krakow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Krakow in February

Im just back from Krakow and loved it, ive booked up again for February. Ive got an image in my head that Krakow will be lovely in the winter. What is it like in February weather wise and is everything opened as normal.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow in February

Feb is about our coldest time of year - we had minus 20 days and minus 30 overnight, 85km SE of Krakow, that time this year. Krakow will be a bit warmer, more sheltered and the streets will be cleared but dress warm and watch for ice! Everything that can be will be open.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 21:14
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow in February

I think John covered it all. Things don't stop in the cold in Poland. I was there end of February and took thermals but in the end I didn't need them. Always good to take especially if your doing a lot of walking out doors

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow in February

Hi Briz.

Glad you enjoyed it and it sounds as now you have the Krakow bug like me :)

Winter is magical in Krakow when it snows. It amazes me the next morning to find paths made in the snow across Rynek Glowny and the side streets. To sit in your apartment/hotel/bar window and watch snow falling on the streets below is so relaxing.

As stated above, it does get very cold, bitterly cold and you will never say the UK is cold again.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow in February

Thanks for the reply guys, im really looking forward to it. It will be a different experience from the normal holiday in the summer months.

A couple in our group may want to go to Auschwitz, is it advisable to go at this time of year? Or will the roads be too dodgy?

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow in February

We're quite used to snow and low temperatures, so everything carries on as normal. You won't have a problem getting to Auschwitz by public transport, but whether you want to spend a whole day outside in those temperatures though, is another issue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow in February

Go to Auschwitz in Feb. I did, wrapped up with layers, coat, scarf and gloves and was cold and then think what it must have been like to just be wearing thin striped cottons.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow in February

February will be a potentially very different time to visit Auschwitz, compared with many, many visitors

'experiences. Huge number of people visit during the spring/summer/autumn and numbers will be down in mid-winter. Tour groups will be few and far between and, as the 3.5-4 hours guided tour is optional in the winter, groups are more easily avoided. Your friends will be able to spend as much or as little time in each part of the museum (the site is officially a museum, comprising a museum, cafe, cinema etc, Auschwitz One and Auschwitz Two - Birkenau, with a free-of-charge shuttle between One and Two) as they wish.

The main roads are cleared so the buses will be running from Krakow to the museum car park. The trains will also be running, though they stop 15 mnutes' walk from the entrance (or a short taxi ride).

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow in February

I agree with the first two responses - a whole load of snow can be dumped on Krakow (and the rest of Southern Poland) and life carries on as usual. People still go to work, schools don't close and planes still take off.

And yes, Krakow looks great in the snow - enjoy it!

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow in February

We went to Krakow for the second time in February and our plane couldn't land as the snow had come down so quickly that we were diverted to Katowice. We were transported by buses back to Krakow and the roads were fine. Loved having all the snow there and took some lovely pics.

It wasn't actually as cold as last year and some days we were able to walk about without wearing our hats and scarves which we could not have done the year before.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow in February

i Will be there in February having spent this past February in Warsaw, We are hoping for snow during our visit, as it adds to the beauty of these fantastic cities.

Get answers to your questions about Krakow